[Custom Build] Blender Fracture Modifier

Awesome sauce ARC9! Yes, and industry VFX/animation peeps here in SoCal see it all the time on my regular rotation of web cam backgrounds. Keep up the good work. If you do Twitter or Instagram make sure and hit us up on the #fracturemodifier hash tag. Post it here also!

Fracture ON!

1 Like

I found another goodie on Twitter. It was a nice choice of constraint settings.

2 Likes

Awesome! here’s a version without social media compression so it’s extra crisp https://we.tl/t-KfcFFwmezr

1 Like

Oh ya, much cleaner. Thanks! Just credit ARC9?
Fracture ON!

1 Like

I go by ARC4G on everything, i just got stuck with arc9 here

Willdo.
Fracture ON!

1 Like

NEWSFLASH! Just announced, OpenVDB now has GPU acceleration via the new NanoVDB addition!
That means the new FM voxel based technology we are developing will have GPU acceleration!

See the news announcement of this new alpha feature branch:

Fracture ON!

Some good OpenVDB eye candy is in this video:

9 Likes

Thats amazing! Cant wait to see the implentation!!!

Ha! Per Bob_JP in another thread, this is how you say Fracture Modifier in Japanese!

フラクチャーモディファイ。

Thanks Bob! Fracture ON!

Here is some FM based comment on certain politics. :innocent:

4 Likes

Development reel for the Washington Monument collapse video from last week.

1 Like

Here’s a little vid I made using the FM :]

Awesomeness SlothropSez!

Lol @ misinformation in blenderland… vdovik44 is misinformed. I don’t have a blender today account so would one of you please when you see a post like that tell them to check this thread for updates. FM is far from dead. Just the opposite. There is good ground work and behind the scenes work being done for an even better and more expanded platform. I’ll have updates on that soon and I’ll post them here.

“vdovik44
hi Pablo! from Russia with love) is there any plans to implement destruction and fracturing in blender in the near future? Project “fracture modifier” is most likely dead, it remains to hope only for the native implementation of fracturing and destructions in the blender”

Fracture ON!

2 Likes

I can give a quick update now on some key points. I was just chatting with scorpion81 on some additional technology I am adding to the FM platform. Of course, voxel tech and more OpenVDB is already noted in prior posts. Work is also being done on multiple VPIs (Visual Programming Interfaces) using the “Literate Programming” paradigm.

This is part of the “artist friendly” long term project I started early on by adding pie menus to FM. This artist friendly UI/UX work will add additional workflow and productivity speed improvements for VFX artists using FM. These will also allow the artist to focus more on the work and creativity than on the tool being in the way. We are working with SoCal design experts and it will be worth the wait to have these types of tools and workflows. The design experts are eager to see their concepts in an actual software platform.

That’s it for now since I don’t want to steal the thunder of coming announcements. : )

Fracture ON!

9 Likes

Looking forward to it! I know it’s very difficult to give time estimates but is the 2.8/2.9 fracture modifier build is something we could see in 2021?

1 Like

Hey guys here’s something I’ve been working on with the FM, it’s still a work in progress and I’d love some feedback and advice if you got some, always looking to improve :]

Using the group connector, is there a way to make connected shards not collide until they’re broken? I have a simple structure: vertical beams and horizontal floors. Two separate objects with two separate fracture properties to make them behave as concrete and steel. The problem is where these two objects touch each other, they spazz out a bit and break. I don’t really want to leave a visible gap between them. To repeat, they do not intersect, just closely adjusted.

edit: Just discovered “collision margin” but I still would like for them to simply not collide until broken, like normal single object shards.

I’m not familiar with the fracture modifier branch, but in “normal” blender there is this “start deactivated” in the rigid body “dynamics” tab, it let physics only start when a threshold is reached (linear/angular velocity), maybe that could help.

you could try to put the two objects in different collision groups. And if you want e.g. the ground collide with the shards of both, you need to put the ground in both collision groups. But note, this way shards of one object wont collide with shards of the other object even if they broke off. as workaround you could animate / keyframe the collision groups to have the same value after some time, so shards start to interact again.