[Custom Build] Blender Fracture Modifier

Scorpion81’s been tinkering around with some py tools again. This is a long term goal of his that I’ve been encouraging. He’s got a few nifty tools that he’s done in the past.

This one adds to his other tools to make blender a more coder friendly and efficient workflow for coders. Check it out and as always Fracture ON!

1 Like

Is it possible to update the fracture_modifier branch as it is right now to the recent blender master state? Or it’s something very complicated? I’m trying to build the branch but I’m getting lots of errors with CMake, libraries… maybe it’s too deprecated to the recent build system?
If possible, how can I support this work? Is donations something that can push this work foward or it’s not possible to continue anyway?

If you scroll up just two posts above you find this:

And a few more posts above:

For a more thorough explanation read post #2001

Hey, if it ever becomes feasible to integrate fracture with Master…

Maybe put out a development roadmap and request funding?

I’m sure there are lots of folks who will put in support since lots of folks seem interested in it.

The 2.79 build of the FM was built with libs which were created with the ancient install_deps.sh script under linux, and with older precompiled libs under windows and mac (under the svn 2.79b release tag)
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/tags/blender-2.79a-release/lib/win64_vc14/ (win) or
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/tags/blender-2.79a-release/lib/darwin/ (mac)

With the make deps system or the precompiled libs under linux this would theoretically improve, but the newer lib versions do not match with the older blender code.

By the way, here is a nice tutorial on how to use our Fracture Modifier for Blender 2.79 and bring results into later versions:

1 Like

How do you make fallen (activated) shards disappear?
It’s just one object and even after applying the modifier, there seems to be no vertex group of activated shards.

Can you explain a little bit more about what you are trying to do with the shards?
There’s a couple convert to objects options in the FM panels. Those are recommended for using the shards as separate objects. Then they are usable as an object would be in blender if that’s what you are asking.

Fracture ON!

Some shards are triggered to fall, most are not being triggered, so they stay in place.
The activated shards that fell should disappear so the ‘clean’ ruin with holes remains.
In my case they are just visual clutter and also unnecessarily increase geometry.

There is no direct way to make shards disappear. It can be “faked” using a Mask modifier together with a Vertex Weight Proximity modifier on the FM object to hide shards at a certain distance to a helper object. This, however, comes at the cost of a performance loss and can cause problems with motion vectors for motion blur rendering because of the changing mesh topology over time.

I would recommend to just let the shards fall down through the ground into infinity and basically ignore them.

Unfortunately, the shards are colliding with the object itself although “self collision” is off, so they can’t get to a distance where they would not be seen.

Btw: do I need to refracture after changing options like “self collision” (I did and it did not help)?

The Self Collision option in the FM is meant to work only for shards connected by constraints, to suppress collisions as long as they are connected. This won’t have an effect on detached shards.

You can control collisions between different FM objects and/or individual rigid bodies using the Collision Group settings. It basically works like layers whereby only objects sharing the same layer will collide. I hope that helps.

Next big simulation done with BCB + FM.

1 Like