[Custom Build] Blender Fracture Modifier

(wolfie138) #1761

I’ve gone back to my wall scene, the one i was having trouble w/ above. it still works fine, but i wanted to try exporting it to another file, so i clicked Convert To Keyframed Objects, and it’s messing up some of teh blocks:

i’ve tried this on a simpler wall and it worked ok, can’t think what’s different on this one aside from it being taller and having the Constraint things to make just the top level fracture. the middle part doesn’t really move so it’s odd that it’s that bit that’s getting mesed up.
TIA

0 Likes

(scorpion81) #1762

Could you please provide this exact blend file ?
Doesnt look like it “weighs” several Gigabytes lol… even low 100-ish Megabyte would be ok (googledrive et al are your friends there)
Its just that it takes very long for me to experiment and to guess what steps you might have taken so far.
I would really need to see that blend in order to check it for possible errors in setup or in the code / blender.
Additionally i might need it to debug blender and test what exactly happens when you do certain stuff with this blend.

0 Likes

(JTA) #1763

Yay! Albin MERLE finished the Fracture Modifier plane crash tutorial! Merci beaucoup Albin!

2 Likes

(Kai Kostack) #1764

All simulations in this short film were done with FM :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

(woot) #1765

I’m having an issue with the grid type fracturing. There are some sort of “panels” attached to my blocks. I’ve tried a couple of things but I can’t get it to work. Can someone help me?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e6GZB3_3RijmpjHOTNOFg0_PYqvau481/view?usp=sharing

0 Likes

(scorpion81) #1766

I assume you want to “decompose” that airplane “minecraft-style” into its individual cubes (and use constraints)
I did following steps:

1. remove the FM from the airplane
  2. Add a Particle system: Start 1, End 1, Volume, Grid, Resolution 61 (can be typed in)
  3. add a cube with dimensions 1,1,1 and add it as dupli object to the particle system. this way on each particle you will get a cube. Possibly that shape is not 100 % exact. but it can be tweaked later…
  4. convert the particle system to real objects
  5. Join the cubes to “reconstruct” the airplane
  6. add an FM and disable all fracture sources (uncheck “Uniform”, too, with shift click) and execute fracture… this way all pre-existing islands (= the cubes) will be made to individual rigidbodies
  7. add constraints (optionally)
  8. Now the airplane should break into its cubes. You can edit the mesh and add / remove a couple of incorrectly placed cubes. (if you fractured already, dont forget to re-fracture then.)
  9. then simulate and done.

I added a pre-made example file here. (without editing by hand)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c-2ADoiKkZg3LR4lkYiTmfrlg8SsVkl_

0 Likes

(drgci) #1767

Will there be a build for the blender 2.8?

0 Likes

(Kai Kostack) #1768

Not yet but in the future.

1 Like

(Kai Kostack) #1769

Development reel of one scene of the short movie Nostalghia, done with BCB + FM

3 Likes

(jensverwiebe) #1770

I have Linux builds already in testing, but those are not yet featurecomplete, neither has B 2.8 some mandatory caching techniques yet available in api. Also the helper addon is not yet ported.

Jens

0 Likes

(Kai Kostack) #1771

Here is the second part of the development reel for the short movie Nostalghia, done with BCB + FM

1 Like

(carmatic) #1772

fmcompoundsanimtest.blend (554.1 KB)
upon clicking on the timeline to change frame, blender will instantly crash

the helper objects were created using the fracture modifier helper, and are used to create a ‘compound convex hull collision’ object (a combination of several convex hull objects to create a concave collision bound), which is then set as active animated
upon baking physics and saving the blend file, reading from the rigid body cache will instantly crash blender

0 Likes

(JTA) #1773

NOTE: above post by carmatic was answered in our IRC channel.

So this is a good reminder, you can also contact us via real time IRC on freenode.net / #blenderfracture channel.

If you don’t do IRC or have a client you can use their web browser based client at webchat.freenode.net.

Fracture ON!

0 Likes

Hello, looking for some help!

So here’s an ambitious glass skyscraper demolition using BCB and FM.

The simulation completes with just the bare RC slabs and columns structure.

Then I have fractured the glass exterior and used the bind tool to attach it to the RC structure underneath (so quite alot of obejects and shards) … however…

The simulation crashes now and is taking a very long (which was expected)…

In the this instance it crashes at frame 293 with the following error (last two lines from the console):

Constraints: Frame 293 , Total 0, Intact 0, Broken 0, Plastic 0
Error: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I did notice @Kai_Kostack multipass feature which may help? But not sure whether it is available, and how it should be used?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Arnie

0 Likes

(Kai Kostack) #1775

Hi Arnold, as I said on YouTube, we haven’t released Multipass yet, it’s just not ready and too difficult to use. It’s also not compatible with the BCB, only the FM is supported.

It’s not easy to fix a problem for such large sims because it is even slower in a debug build. You could send us a .blend but I’m not sure if we can debug that. So as a workaround I would recommend to refracture the model using a different seed and try again in the hope that it will work better then.

0 Likes

Hi Kai - yes sorry about the double post!

I think I’ve found a way through - I may have gone ‘over the top’ with all the fracturing and just need to do a little less.

In the model above there are 6 different glass pane materials - I separated them by material and fractured each selection by 300 - 1200 shards. (so quite a lot)

I’ve just run a sim overnight where I fractured the glass exterior as one object (2200 shards fast bisect) and this has completed.

It doesn’t look quite as ‘glass shattery’ as the above but will certainly do for for now.

I’ll keep playing around.

Thanks for your help! One day I’ll post a result!

0 Likes

(Henri Grimm) #1777

Hey Guys,

First off i want to say thank you for all the hard work you’ve put into this and all the support you’ve given the community, its truly amazing.

I have been using the build for a few weeks now and i cant seem to get smooth objects shaded correctly. I was able to fracture a cylinder fine, rendered out perfect. But I’ve set up a scene with an egg(Slightly extruded sphere). its been solidified so it is a thin shell. Every setting i tried for Auto merge and Auto hide seems to either leave me with artifacts on the mesh or the Cracks in between the shards that appear and disappear as the mesh moves slightly. Cant seem to find a value where its set to enough distance for it to be without artifacts or without cracks showing. I’ve also tried Key-framing the auto merge and auto hide values with no luck. (Actually seems like it takes the value that the render initializes with and does not respect the key-frames. but i cant be sure).

Anyway, I’ve included my scene and a test render to show what i mean(I’m a new user so i cant upload directly). I’ve rendered this thing probably 15 times with different values and still cant figure it out. it will look right in the view port but not in final animation. There is also a Flip Fluid Sim in the File, Obviously the bakes could not be included but just check it out without the fluid. Fix normals is enabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iss6x2ll0cnv603/egg%20test.blend?dl=0 [Blend File]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/twiik0raxjmooty/Egg%20Test.mov?dl=0 [Test Render showing Issues]

Thanks for any help you can provide!

0 Likes

(JTA) #1778

Thanks for the post henri_grimm and sorry about a delayed response. Can you update us on your progress please? Then we’ll post a response to the latest information you have. You might have even solved it already hopefully! ; ) Thanks.

Fracture ON!

0 Likes

(JTA) #1779

Hey all, I’m still working on the most current docs for 2.79x, which is still alive and well with users. There are many features in the control panels and addon that are not documented yet. So if you see any setting that is undocumented please feel free to ask about it here if you are wanting to use it.

I’ll keep an eye on this and I’ll have the new docs up soon.

Thanks, JTa

Fracture ON!

0 Likes