Customizable UI Discussion

I wander if it is planned to add an editor of this menu, so we can create our own submenus in it, that would be great to avoid having a really long menu that doesn’t even fit in the editor haha :slight_smile:

I hope so… And not just for editing our favorite menus, but also for editing pretty much any menu in the interface… That would be neat… :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks but that’s not the solution I’m looking for. I want those modes in my right click context menu.
I’m not a huge fan of stuff that can only be done on the keyboard.
In maya/c4d etc, you can find it easily in the menus.
I guess this is one of those typical blender issues. :wink:

It is currently an issue with these buttons in header. Display modes can not be added to favorites menu, too.
Similar buttons about normals display can be added in the menu.
So, I suppose it is just a matter of time.
When Campbell will take a second look to favorites menu, he will probably add those.

In 2.79, there is a pie-menu dedicated to that. At least, there will probably be ability to write a python script for that.

2 Likes

The favorites menu is great, but looking at Pablo demoing it, I keep thinking it’d be so much more useful as a floating panel. Any time he adds an item and wants to repeat, it’s press “Q”, find item, click, press “Q” find item click, “Q” item click. If it was a floating panel it’d be, find item, clickclickclick.

He suggests maybe it could be part of the properties panel or something, but I submit that it’d be much more useful as an optionally persistent, visible menu.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

1 Like

The issue with floating panel will be it jumping around when switching contexts. To avoid that it has to be minimized.

Not sure we’re thinking of the same things. Why would the floating panel be jumping around?

1 Like

Because it is context aware. If it is floating (similar to what the redo panel currently does) and expanded the entries are different between the Object, Edit Mode, Selection, Paint, Sculpting etc. That will if the context is switched during work relatively fast produce the effect of jumping around as it’s size will vary depending on the number of entries available.

Ah well, it doesn’t sound like a big deal does it ?

Is it possible to create a kind of null context or a kind of workspace context for it ? How info editor is able to display operators from different editor contexts ?
If workspace is made around a task, it is consistent to have quick favorites for this task from all involved editors.

Maybe, it would also open a room for a floating tweaking redo panel like F6 between all editors instead of repeating it jumping inside each editor at a fixed position.

Not sure if that behavior will bother me much, if at all. The whole point of the Favorites Menu is easy accessibility to frequently used items, so if there is a minor bothersome behavior as trade-off, I wouldn’t really care.

And if a user doesn’t like seeing the items change, my suggestion is an optionally persistent panel, which means they can just disable the behavior (Maybe there’s a checkbox on the top of the panel or something). Then it’d act exactly like it does now.

I don’t see a downside.

1 Like

I have not really used much Outliner in earlier versions of Blender, but using Blender 2.8 in a simple project, it easily extended too much and is somewhat uncomfortable if you do not have elements all visible. So I probably set up a completely new Outliner editor occupying all the height of the screen, instead of having Outliner up Properties editor. The problem is that Outliner is not always necessary to have it visible, and entire Editors are not easily hideable or expandable as N or T panel for example. So it would be good a solution for this: Editors easily hideable or expandable even with shortcuts, or Outliner living in its own panel, similar to N panel.

A workaround I sometimes use. I have mapped two shortcuts in preferences: TAB in Outliner switches the workarea to Properties, and viceversa, TAB in Properties switches back to Outliner. One single area on the right that suffices for both the needs. Given that you work with one hand on the keyboard

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try.
As a workaround for now maybe it will work, but I suppose there will be cases where one wants to have both easily accessible and visible at the same time, that is why I avoided proposing Outliner to be a tab of Properties Editor. Adding to what has been said, single column sorting has made it even more necessary to have Properties editor the largest possible size along the height of the screen.

What choices does user now have to set thinner grid lines, outline edges, editor borders (as it is in 2.79)?
Is it impossible to code setting that back the way it was - as for 2.8, thick option has become absolutely useless (or maybe when 8K 24" monitors get to be used :astonished:) and either way it doesn’t influence grid, outline and other line thicknesses? Would be great if 2.8 & 2.7 were both available on as thin and other as thick… as what was felt naturally the direction would go to.

(no mock-up, just simple side-by-side comparison - what feels more consistent)

And how to (or when will it be possible to):

• disable that auto panel popping up?
  • ‘un-mark’ in outliner?
  • limit/minimize grid?
  • put stats back on top, where’s more efficient (if tab is hidden no info is shown, while open is too obtrusive).

I think even line thicknesses are part of visual flow consistency.

Sadly, am still not seeing, nor experiencing any workflow benefits but quite the opposite, getting more and more distracted by the UI. I know, it’s hard to distinguish, if a new thing is a regression or advancement - distracting or motivational at first, but as time goes by even love rears it’s ugly head.

Cinema 4d is one of the best in terms of ui customization, it allow tabs to be oriented horizontally or vertically, it allows for tool icons to be text or icon or both at the same time, it even allows you to drag’n’drop any slider or checkbox to be placed directly on the viewport. I wish blender snatched some of those things from cinema.

1 Like

Cinema4D lets the user do almost anything with the interface, but I don’t think that’s the best strategy.
It’s a double-faced coin in my opinion. Anyone can scramble the UI upside down, put buttons everywhere slice areas, tear window apart, etc… (following tutorials might be a nightmare?)
Giving UI all upon users’ shoulders can be seen as if devs couldn’t argue what was the best solution, so maybe they gave the users the ability to try any solution themselves.

I’ll just quote this for you:

Peace. :wink:

1 Like

adding your own panels with tools or changing the size of the icons won’t ruin anything. besides of that customizing ui is a thing for those who know what they are doing, newbies can stick with defaults with no problem.

1 Like

Well, I’ve never had any problems too, following blender’s tutorials.
The concerns then maybe come when newbies meet tutorial made with heavy personalized UI?