Cut, Copy, and Paste?

:confused:

I know this is a noob question, but where are cut, copy and paste in modeler? I looked at the manual, but couldn’t find anything.

I wanted to cut some polygons from one model and paste them into another. I tried Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V as with most software, but no result, or wrong result. This seems like such a basic thing, I can’t believe support for cut, copy and paste doesn’t exist.

Blender, like other 3d software, isn’t a word processor.
Shift+D = duplicate
P = separate
Ctrl+J = join

Sorry, Lightwave uses the standard cut, copy, paste. Blender uses Ctrl-Z for undo. Why not cut, copy and paste? Pretty standard commands in my opinion, in just about every other software I use.

Shift+D = duplicate
P = separate
Ctrl+J = join

Not the same things at all.

Because, as with other softwares that are complex, the cut/copy/paste shortcuts you are pointing to DO exist in the text portions of the program. Look under your key map in the preferences for the short cuts, and maybe you can change the shortcuts you don’t like to the ones you do.

Craig, I’m not sure what you mean by “text portions of the program”.

I looked for Copy and Paste in the menus but didn’t find it. This is such a basic function. I would be very surprised if Blender doesn’t have it.

Where would you prefer Copy over duplicate and why?

Copy takes the selected polys or verts and copies them to the clipboard to be used elsewhere.
I don’t think Duplicate serves the same purpose.

No it doesn’t. Being a LightWave user myself for several years, I have come to like using cut, copy and paste. You do essentially the same thing with duplicate and such with Blender, there’s just a few more steps involved in getting certain things done. In LW we can just take something copy it and paste it into a new layer no problem, which also creates a new “object” or “object part” you know what I mean. In Blender we would duplicate, then separate (provided you wanted this as a separate object), and if you would wish to move to a new layer that would be a third step. Same process more or less applies in edit mode as well if you just want to duplicate parts of a mesh and place them into a new one. Nothing like the select ctrl-c then ctrl-v where ever you want in LW, including a different file all toghther.

1 Like

Wow. So we are talking a completely different workflow instead of what shortcut controls what tool operator I am guessing from the last few posts. I was responding from what I read in the previous posts, since the OP was asking why Blender didn’t use copy/cut/paste instead of :

Shift+D = duplicate
P = separate
Ctrl+J = join

So the OP means that there are tools in Lightwave that operate with these othere commands… cool, so soon as somebody wants them bad enough, they can write an add on to combine and call several operators to mimic this behaviour, right? I don’t code, but I have seen some of the coolest tools show up in the add ons that the community has produced.

Yep in C4D I used it all the time to move stuff between files, or to work on something in a temp file… in Blender you would need to save and append, not the same thing. If it works for curves and keyframes, why not for verts and objects…?

There was an addon to do this on object level in blenderheads scripting forum… not perfect but a good starting point.

It’s an altogether different workflow and way of thinking. Blender’s design leans more towards immediate feedback within the context you’re working (not always, but in general, that’s always been the goal). There aren’t very many operations in Blender where you don’t get immediate feedback. Rather than copy->do something (change contexts, etc.)->paste later, Blender favors the notion of duplicate->bam! there it is->do something with the duplicated item. The downside of this, of course, is that people who are used to the “word processor workflow” have to adjust their thinking a bit. The upside is the immediacy and the reduced likelihood of forgetting what’s been copied.

One’s not better or worse than the other… just different.

Copy/Paste is a great function in some other 3D tools (O2 , the Bohemia Interactive 3D modeller use it too), the lack of it really puzzled me at first when i started using Blender, as the SHIFT+D and P and Append, surely while it’s working, does not provide as a quick as a workflow as a CTRL+C / CTRL+V when working between several models

I hope someday someone will be able to code an addon allowing this.

1 Like

I do too. Thanks!

1 Like

Sometimes I think it’s out of sheer stuborness for their (our) own system that some features are not added.

Just copy duplicate something, put it somwhere else and delete the original

Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks.
www.bestpadhai.com

Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks.
www.bestpadhai.com

THIS.

IOW, “do something inconvenient, when standard methods exist but aren’t being adopted.”