Cutting model into pieces for 3D printing

I have a model that I want to cut into 3 pieces so it can be printed in a 3D printer.

I’ve been googling for the past hour and I can’t find any tutorials or even references.

What I need to do is have the model be cut with a straight cut, preferably a plane (which is what would make sense to me), without distorting because of the subsurface modifier. Is this possible?

You can add a plane and line it up where you want the splits to occur, scale it up so none of the model peeks through, and then add a boolean modifier to the plane, and select your mesh as the target object. It should hopefully then wrap around the mesh, sometimes it can be iffy and might take a while at first. You can rotate the plane to change which side it is wrapping around and stuff like that.
Let me know if I’m not making sense at all, otherwise I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply.

I accidentally made 2 threads (After registering apparently your threads need to be approved) so I got a similar, but different answer in that thread.

Let’s hope this works, I’d love to hold this model in my hands. :slight_smile: