Cutting windows in Star Trek starships

I’m working on the U.S.S. Excelsior from Star Trek, but I’ve run into a problem. I can’t seem to get the window cutouts made. I’ve tried to download Megabool (it’s worked for me before), but there doesn’t seem to be a download for Megabool anymore. Is there some other function that Blender uses to cut shapes out of faces?

Depending on how you made the base Saucer section you could select the Polygons and do an inset then extrude inwards. Just make sure the transform orientation is set to Normal.

You could also try Mark Kingsnorrth Window Generator
http://www.markkingsnorth.com/2017/10/07/blender-add-on-window-generator/

It’s $10 but may save you a lot of time.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up on the Window Generator. I’m considering buying the plugin (that will save a TON of work on my Galaxy class WIP).

I’m not sure how to do the inset for the polygons. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

How about using a simple shape, say a cube or something, with an array modifier to repeat it, then use that with a boolean modifier to cut the window holes?

To make the window positions less regular, use another collection of simple shapes (e.g. cubes) to cut out gaps in the array of windows before using that to make the windows. In crude diagram form:

hull → subtract (window cutter → array → subtract(gap cutter))

The only Boolean modifier I’ve tried was Megabool. That worked great, but I can’t find it anymore. I suppose any kind of “cookie-cutter” Boolean modifier would work, though.