Cycles AMD OpenCL Test

Same here

Win7 64bit
Radeon HD6850 / Catalyst 13.12
Blender 2.69

The kernel starts to compile but about 5 minutes later blender crashes.
I guess HD 6xxx Series is outdated somehow about opencl rendering in cycles.
All I get to work is OpenCL rendering on my CPU only. But this is kind of useless since it’s a bit slower than CPU rendering without OpenCL. So it just make sense to use it both together, CPU and GPU.

Did anyone managed to get a graphics card of this HD 6xxx series OpenCL rendering in cycles ?

Hi, I’m trying to active the cycles render.
I’ve an AMD Radeon 6770M 512 and on the apple site they said that on Maverick this graphic card support the openCL 1.2

But when i try to render I’ve this errors : OpenCL build fails : error in console…

So, did anyone have a solution’s idea ??

thanks

Kinolab

im actually quite pissed off how they keep working on Cycles and making it do more things, but at the same time not working on pure OpenCL coding. They should just drop it, call it something else and make it pure CUDA only.
Its gotten to the point that I am getting a new video card in april for my birthday.
I know I shouldnt complain because I havent paid anything, but if Luxrender can do it then the Cycles devs can do it to.

Thx for your answer, but even with luxrender it seem that openCL render is really slow…

anyway…
thx

KinoLab

Hi, did anyone have some news about AMD RADEON Open CL ??? In the 2.70 it seem that works but only if i chose the CPU render and when i try using both GPU and CPU it Block!!

Thx

In 2.70 (OS X) I am able to select OpenCL and my GPU from the preferences. Unfortunately, when I render the image I am only getting an alpha channel (i.e. a blank render). I also have to wait a few seconds before the image can render as I have to wait for it to finish “Loading render kernels”.

Terminal shows the following:

http://i.imgur.com/ALFkabD.png

yup thats the normal error you will get.
back with Blender 2.62 you could sort of get OpenCL to work (greyscale, no textures, etc).
but the kernel would compile. it took about 5 minutes but you only had to do it once.
2.62 gave me so much hope, then something broke no longer works.

The only bit of info that I can provide is that AMD cards not based on GCN are problematic. That means 7000 series at a minimum.

I’ve had no problems compiling the kernel on a 7970 Ghz Edition and two 7990’s.

well opencl works on every other type of hardware… even nvidia cards which arent messed up like the amd cards hehe

it looks like amd fixed the problems but they want you to buy a fire pro to use it

Tried rendering with my 7950 on Win7 (OpenCL 1.2), and crashes before compiling the kernel (GPU compute). CPU works fine on the FX8150, but no real improvement.

I’m curious, has anyone has tried Blender OpenCL with a R7 or R9 based card at all?

EDIT: Upgraded drivers to the 14.3 beta drivers, and rendering without an issue now. :smiley:

OpenCL Kernel Compile time was : 95.55 sec

First render set Blender to “unresponsive” but waited a bit, and it quickly had the render about a minute later. I’ll test more tomorrow.

GPU: RADEON HD 5770 JUNIPER
DRIVER: 13.152.1.8-131008a-163824C-ATI

GPU: ATI RADEON HD 5770 JUNIPER
DRIVER: 13.152.1.8-131008a-163824C-ATI
OS WIN 7 PRO
RESULT: Does not work. Blender crashes after it tries to compile the kernel.

I wonder if it works driver “amd firepro” a radeon?. Someone has already tried?. By Roy amd says nothing OpenCL for radeon. Something that bothers me a lot is the lack of guarantees of amd. We constantly give disrespectful, never reply to anything, not in forums or twitter or own “AMD Developer”.
I have also used the armed firepro kernel for nothing.
I think it would have to stop blender amd gpu. It makes no sense to continue. It would be nice to say amd Roy, users who have purchased amd gpus. There would return or recommend to buy your product, the lack of guarantees for drivers and software offering.

I tried rendering with a r9 280x. :frowning: http://pastebin.com/qgJXD2mh

CPU: Intel i7 4770k
GPU: AMD r9 280x
Build: 2.70 f5055d8 (Daily build 2014-05-23)
Driver: Amd catalyst 14.4

Currently I did some new OpenCL tests with the official 2.70a version on Win7 64bit, Intel processor i5 2500k, Radeon HD6850, Catalyst Version 14.4.

Compiling the render kernel still crashes when I switch to Barts in User Prefs choose GPU in the Render Settings and trying to render.
If I choose OpenCL and i5 prozessor in User Prefs and then GPU in the Render Settings it’s rendering slightly faster then just the CPU does without OpenCL activated. Not sure, but I guess the CPU internal GPU is rendering when settings are like this.

But the results look somewhat different from rendering on CPU and non OpenCL. Like the below Images will show for example non mesh lamps are rendered quite different from mesh lights. Also illumination by sky textures apperes wrong somehow.

Does anyone has made similar experiences. Some guesses what is going wrong ?

Greetings Martin

14.6 Beta is currently your best bet for rendering with AMD.

Don’t get me wrong. I did’nt render on my HD6850 because compiling the render kernel does’nt work. But of course the Graphics Driver Version might be not totaly up to date. I don’t like testing beta Version Graphic Drivers and will do some new Test with the following official releases. All the render above are done with userprefs “Comute Device” set to “OpenCL” and “Intel i5 CPU”. It’s just the different appaerence of the render results I’m wondering about.

Could this double post be deleted by a moderator please ?

Sorry, but posting is bit confusing sometimes if the results did not appear instantly.

Don’t get me wrong. I did’nt render on my HD6850 because compiling the render kernel does’nt work. But of course the Graphics Driver Version might be not totaly up to date. I don’t like testing beta Version Graphic Drivers and will do some new Test with the following official releases.

All the render above are done with userprefs “Comute Device” set to “OpenCL” and “Intel i5 CPU”.

It’s just the different appaerence of the render results I’m wondering about.

CPU: AMD A6-3410MX APU with HD Graphics
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6520G
Build: 2.70a e8c63ca (Daily build 2014-06-09)
Driver: AMD Catalyst 14.6
Tiles: 120x64

Build: 2.70a f93bc76 (Daily build 2014-04-10)
Tiles: 250x250

With the experimental OpenCL rendering on AMD GPUs that scene renders the fastest, at default resolution (960x540), with 64x540 pixel large tiles.