Cycles and rendering on iMac 2011

Hi!

I’ve tried the new Cycles render engine (Blender 2.63 64bit) on my iMac 2011 (with an ATI HD 6970) and I’ve tried to speed up rendering using the OpenCL, but as I use the Experimental (as feature set) and “GPU Compute” as “Device” I get a wrong image. Sometimes it seems that lighting is wrong (even with the default scene with only a cube) or sometimes it doesn’t render nothing (just a checked plane that seems like a strange way to report that something went wrong :().

Did you have noticed the same problem with Mac machine?

Thanks.

GPU rendering works with Nvidia cards only as far as I know.

This should apply to CUDA implementation, but OpenCL implementation should available for other GPU :spin:

Thanks

This should apply to CUDA implementation, but OpenCL implementation should available for other GPU :spin:

Thanks
Why are you expecting openCL to work correctly ? It’s still very experimental and you most likely need the correct drivers to get all the not fully supported features.

And that is the problem. Open CL doesn’t work right at the moment. Only CUDA. So just Nvidia unfortunately. I have a Macbook Pro with a Nvidia Card and it works.

Ehm… You’re right! No wonder it is reported as “experimental” :eyebrowlift2:
Anyway I hope to use it soon!

Thanks.

Cycles is positively goofy (doesn’t work…) on an iMac/macBook until CUDA is installed.