Cycles attribute node: vertex weights...

I just tried to use the attribute node to reference vertex group weights…

after much confusion i discovered that weights are not supported. a shame as that would be ideal for my project.

I thought that vertex colours would be the answer and they can indeed be used via the attribute node!
but sadly there’s a hard coded limit so you can only have 8 vertex colour sets… i need a lot more than that to blend what i need (like 30 or so)

i can get a little closer by painting rgb seperately but still not enough and much harder to see what’s going on!
is anyone working on weight map support in cycles nodes? it’s a real stumbling block!

There’s a 8 vertex color limit ? You’re right, weird… looks like a bug to me…

there’s a similar limit on teh number of uv channels so i think it’s by design…

luckily i can paint rgb channels separately to give me 3 weights per vcol map and separate them using teh separate rgb node… that’s 24 channels… so almost all i need!

It’s not a bug, it was the hardcoded limit when multi vertex-color channel support was developed.

With the system introduced in 2.5x though, it should now be easier to raise the limit to something like 32K like how it was with the max number of material indices per object.

You can also stretch things a bit further through the use of multiple material indices and having the different channels do different things with the different materials, but I do agree that the best thing to do would be to raise the limit.

Oh ok. Well I guess 32,000 would be enough.
Pretty clever trick Michael, but how do you paint RGB channels separately and still see what you’re doing ?

for simple things I just set my colour to pure red, green or blue… to blend two channels i can guess with brush opacity and build up the blend… if i want two channels at full strength you just set (say) red and green to full strength and leave the other at zero…

If i need more accurate feedback In BI you can do the same trick with material nodes and the GLSL preview is fantastic…
I’ve painted landscapes mixing 3 different materials (eg grass, gravel and rock) using rgb channels to modulate… simply hook the channel into a mix node factor to modulate the blend and see results straight in the viewport

In that case it would be pretty nice to have RGB channels as checkboxes for vertex painting, like we have in image editor… would take the guessing out of the equation.