Cycles Development Updates

New Cycles meeting notes have been published at Devtalk.

Sounds promising for macOS users. What’s not clear to me is: does Cycles already use GPU on M1 Macs, or do macOS users, even the M1 owners, still need to rely on OpenCL, or even CPU?

2 Likes

No additional GPU support on M1 Macs so far for Cycles. It is all about CPU improvements, including the mentioned upcoming commit.
It is impossible to resolve such an issue quickly. It is usually safe to assume that anything that wasn’t explicitly mentioned didn’t happen.

2 Likes

Too bad, i expected some news about cycles senior job offer

1 Like

What!? No double slit interference patterns? :disappointed:

5 Likes

I’m shocked dopler effect is not even considered to be implemented. Cycles is essentially unusable without it.

4 Likes

I’ve had to drop so many projects because Cycles has no way of accurately rendering redshift on a galactic scale !

5 Likes

I limited myself to only include stuff that is available as research papers for general rendering. Some of the stuff are already implemented elsewhere. Others the research may still be too young and undeveloped for practical use.

Actually it does.

But this doesn’t account for movement of the radiation source !! I can’t rightly animate something flying at a significant percentage of C !! how am I going to ever work again ?

1 Like

You can key the colour of your emitted light to the velocity of the moving object - I have done exactly this using particles before now.

2 Likes

Damn ! you have an answer to everything !

You think? You obviously haven’t spoken to my wife :smiley:

15 Likes

Calling anything physically accurate is such a mess. Some people assume that means way more than it does and get really caught up in the purist ideals of ‘correct’ and ‘incorrect’ ways to do things.

Everything is an approximate model. Even outside of rendering, the physics and engineering we have developed are all just approximations.

2 Likes

A new blog post from Brecht

16 Likes

Wow, so Brecht will be working fulltime on Cycles, plus they are looking at hiring another fulltime render dev. Let the good times roll :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Has OIDN 1.3.0 been added to 2.93 already? Is there a place where I can check what has been added to the latest releases? Cheers.

Hi, it is in: https://developer.blender.org/D10406
I have no idea how to check, system-info.txt did no show it.

Cheers, mib

2 Likes

Cheers. So when it says “Committed” this means that it’s included in the latest Alpha version, that I can download in the nightly builds?

If that’s the case and it was added on the 15th, I’m a bit disappointed. I tested it yesterday and saw no improvements in retaining details. They are still washed out.

It’s not in for real yet. That commit is just one of a few that will happen.

Edit: actually the linux builds should probably have it now. Not windows yet.

2 Likes

Brilliant news.

2 Likes