Cycles Development Updates

That would be a lovely thing, but it still shows up in cm when you switch it to texture and the other modes can’t do translation.

If UV coords are involved, that imaginary space is different for each pixel. UV space is also not a space that can ever exist in the scene except by fantastic coincidence (like if you create a new plane and scale it by 0.5, lol). Therefore it is nonsense - from a practical, not a mathematical perspective. Of course it makes mathematical sense. After all math doesn’t care about units and it might as well be hairwidths or furlongs. You never want to shift a texture by 50 cm of UV space. You want, in your head, to shift a texture by half.

1 Like

But it’s 5-10 second slow then cuda in a recent test I did.

I get your argument, but you are the one as a user who is plugging a uv socket into a point mode mapping node. I generally use the texture mode for the uv stuff, and that is where the cm does not make sense. You can literally stick anything to vector socket, including color outputs. The mapping node is just not smart enough to figure out the incoming space.

My reply was more about the “point” mode since that is what you had in the screenshot because it is useful to have the scene units for the location calculation for such values.

It works the same in texture mode though?
Or do you mean something else I’m not getting?

Yes that is what I meant, it is unfortunate that the units are retained with the texture mode. It only makes sense with the point mode in my view.

Well ok then.

While we’re on the topic, what exactly is the difference between Point and Texture modes? Does anyone know?

Vectors used as reference for mapping transforms are not the same.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/vector/mapping.html#properties

Point corresponds to the way Blender Internal was working.
Texture corresponds to how it was working in other software.

3 Likes

Hahaha, that’s so ridiculously user unfriendly! Only those who know obscure lore pertinent to other software will understand this from the UI without reading the manual.

They should have just included an order of operations dropdown and an invert checkbox. You know, options that actually do what they say they do.

Thanks, knowledgeable as always zeauro :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, one more time Blender fail is in language.

God forbid you demonstrate the bare minimum of technical literacy by looking something up in the user manual.

1 Like

30 posts were split to a new topic: A discussion on Blender documentation

Back to the building, today a patch landed in Blender Cycles which include the first work on a Metal device. If I understand correctly it is the first Metal GPU device implementation.
I guess this are good news for Apple user but iirc Intel GPU support Metal, too.

https://developer.blender.org/D12864

Cheers, mib

1 Like

News from the source:

2 Likes

Hi, Brecht add a second AO method to Cycles, it replace the old world AO setting.

https://developer.blender.org/rB75704091fccb92774790f6451efe4e1d00174dad

Cheers, mib

6 Likes

Scrambling distance for Sobol, based on E-Cycles code, is now in.
rB366262bef542 (blender.org)

Another patch bringing this for the PMJ sampler is in progress.

In addition, the denoising depth pass is back (but for effects such as mist)
rBeb1fed9d60a0 (blender.org)

7 Likes

Same question I asked on CycleX thread:
Are there any plans to bundle maketx.exe with blender ?
Are there maybe even plans to automate this workflow ?

Since you posted in Cycles X thread, have you at least checked the thread from Devtalk about texture caching that I’ve linked couple posts before yours?

Bundling any .exe files with Blender is not going to happen, as this is Windows only executable. Texture caching as a feature would need to work on all supported operating systems.

This was just updated by Brecht, not even an hour ago. Very interesting :drooling_face:

https://developer.blender.org/T68917

And bundling maketx will be no problem. It’s open source and can be compiled for any platform.

10 Likes

That’s absolutely great news!

Also there is a new task for CPU performance:

6 Likes

Brecht is preparing the task for path guiding as well.
:anchor: T92571 Cycles: path guiding (blender.org)

Between the major performance improvements slated for Cycles and the major OpenSubDiv improvements in review, Blender 3.1 will be a very exciting release.

17 Likes