Cycles Development Updates

Ok, but how come the right horn is directly lit? That’s not something I would expect.

1 Like

The lighting fall-off to me looks pretty radically different from the old when it interacts with objects. I haven’t experimented enough to find out what’s causing it, but my current guess is that Principled BSDF 2 energy conservation makes the lighting appear more intensive now when the material algorithms are obeying the laws of physics much better. Everything in my scene appeared too bright when switching to the tech and certain lights needed to be altered in strength to even come close to the original feel.

This is also just a quick experimentation and I am not well versed in render math and lighting physics to know all of the reasons why it looks so different.

Also point lights now behave more like polygon spheres with an emission shader. A lot of old blender files from blendswap.com have absolutely massive point light radiuses that never made any physical sense to me. Now they are actually interpreted as spheres causing massively different lighting.

5 Likes

Ah that’s likely it! The super bright horn might be within the radius of a point light

1 Like

Anyone knows if the image texture color management stays the way?
Currently to set a texture from sRGB (default) to Linear, you need to go to a submenu, with 6 different linear modes. I find that contra productive, as the most important thing to do is setting it to sRGB or Linear. All other modes are rare.

“Linear” is not a color space.

1 Like

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-16 um 12.46.58

You can’t be more wrong.

You can’t be more wrong.

A color space is defined by its three primaries, a white point, and a transfer-function.
Linear just describes the transfer function. Linear “what”?
Read up on it: https://hg2dc.com/2020/01/08/question-17/

2 Likes

In Blender “Linear” is an alias for “Linear Rec.709” as far as I understand it.
So when people point to “Linear” being a color space, this is correct, in the sense that in the Blender context it means “Linear Rec.709”.
Similar to when someone talks about RGB, but in the Blender context it actually means sRGB.

1 Like

I am aware. This doesn’t help people in the end though. Apparently there’s still a lot of people that don’t understand this. Being precise about this is the sensible thing to do if you have a lot of options in that menu and also might educate a bit.

2 Likes

Linear is basically no-color space. But Rec709 is a color space. Makes no sense to me.
Also saying that Linear belongs not to color space is just trolling around.
Its under colors spaces in Photoshop, Nuke, Fusion, Maya etc. Troll !

Beside this, I did 3D when you where not even born, baby!
If you want to teach people, go to school, get a job and work 25 years then you can teach, maybe.

… that there is your problem.

4 Likes

To be honest, I find that very condescending.
Why not just answer the question and additionally point to further resources? There is no need to force something that might in the end not be useful.

5 Likes

And the question is, which option to pick. And your link does not answer it!

Discussion tends to be more more useful when people manage to be respectful.

In case you have forgotten, here are the site guidelines: https://blenderartists.org/guidelines

11 Likes

There is no node to convert image info from Image input node to another color space, in shading nodes.
The option is just useful for shading nodes, to allow to deactivate it, by switching to non-color, to use image as a bump or normal map.

In order to simplify UI maintenance, this part of Image node UI is kept the same, in shading nodes as in compositing node, where conversion of color space is possible.

2 Likes

What is this argument? O_o

The length of someone’s career in a given field is in no way an indicator of their professional competence or competence to provide education in a given field.

There are many examples of people with exceptional skills in a given field after just couple of years, and conversely there’s nearly endless amount of examples of people working their entire life in a given field and never exiting the orbit of poor or mediocre competence. Let alone the ability to pass quality knowledge onto others.

10 Likes

Essentially “Linear” in Blender is an abbreviation for “Linear Rec.709”. “Linear Rec.709” is a well defined color space, while technically speaking “Linear” isn’t. In other software “Linear” usually means other linear color spaces. And as you can see in the dropdown, there are many of those even in Blender.

Since when normal maps are no color?
Again, hitting industry standards. All images not used for color information on the shader should be set to Linear. The term none-color doesn’t exit outside Blender and while we teaching each other, its totally wrong.