Cycles Disney Shader

Me neither, the biggest difference I found was with the branched path tracing mode, but all it did there was reshuffle some samples.

I did however get slightly longer render times (which gives reason to always just leave MIS on).

I learned my lesson a long time ago. Unless given conclusive evidence that you are doing something absolutely wrong, don’t stop doing it, at least when it comes to 3D. Cause then you have to find a different way of doing things, or your workflow gets messed up and you second guess yourself, etc. Leaving Multiple Importance Sampling on was one of the first things I learned, especially for lights and HDRI lighting.

ten samples

left is mis off
right is mis on

MIS should be enabled if there is emission… but because there is no emission on most of the node networks that would use this setup… it should be off with a note saying to turn it on if there is emission going on in the node network.

It gets ignored when theres no emission bsdf node in the node network… when there is, even if its factor 0, it gets added into the MIS query pool.

I should clarify… HDRI mis always on (unless for star hdris)… what i am talking about is multiple importance smapling for materials… in the material tab. nothing to do with hdri at all.

I did however get slightly longer render times (which gives reason to always just leave MIS on).

thats because the samples against the non-emission render a bit faster then the lighting samples, as it doesnt have to calculate as much… it calculates a little then ends the sample ray and returns black… instead of doing full indirect bouncing and what not.

This change will result in better sampling, rather then faster sampling.

Hi. This looks great! Do you have this file hosted anywhere other than onelvxe? For some reason, my work has this site filtered as ‘adult’ and blocks access. Thanks.

I see now, I was testing with my own materials and none of them had an emission shader somewhere in the node tree (so that explains the lack of difference).

It also seems branched path tracing doesn’t get as affected compared to as standard path tracing

I do not. I’m hosting it on ONELVXE more so for data purposes. My intent is to give Beta Testers and early adopters a good deal on helping me refine the product and make it better. As such, by downloading it through ONELVXE you can sign up to receive an email that includes discount information and coupon codes. Download it from your home PC if you get a chance!

Just purchased the addon. Just wanted to say thank you for making my life that much easier and how much i love the quality of the library materials. This is truly a tool that i’m happy to pay for. Keep up the good work.

A little sad here. Looks great, but now, instead of the 50% discount for the early users, you are only offering a 20% to us. I am sure the addon is worth it, but I cannot afford it now. And a bit disappointed in not offering what was first promised.

@michaelws The value of the addon is actually $99.97. I’m sorry this was not properly advertised!

thanks for the clarification.

After much fun with the new addon i found myself with a small problem. Not understanding Blender fully, i am having a rough time combining the ubershader and overlay textures (glass and floor stains mainly). If anyone could lend a hand i would be gratefull.

Thank you.

I see that the shader is working great by others results! But I wonder if the ubershader is being handled well with blender. I have made a few ubershaders. I found out that I rendered my scenes faster if I used the smaller blocks instead of the mixed ubershader. Now I use multiple outputs. So, if I need a shader I can just use the output shader I need.

Also I have a boxed and unboxed version. The boxed version has all the individual shaders grouped in it. The unboxed version has the shaders in it but all ungrouped and laid out. Mainly I use the unboxed version so my groups don’t get cluttered in the add group menu. I tend to make groups out of habit and the list tends to grow quickly when I am in my projects lol.

Edit: I have seen your new material add - on and you have already took this in account. Awesome!

I have some experience in how to do this. All you would have to do is make a black and white alpha map. Black is 0 influence and white is 100 influence. You can achieve this glass stain look by mixing dielectric and refractive together with that alpha map. Floor stains are achieved by mixing the floor colors with a mix node and put that into the top color input. I also suggest using a roughness map with this for a desired effect.

The finalized version of the shader that is included in the ONELVXE Material Pipeline should solve some of the speed issues people have been complaining about. It’s much easier to use now, and doesn’t require flipping switches and weighting certain shading models. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and helped test the original version!

Not complaining… just telling you how to make it more efficient… Just trying to help :slight_smile:

Sorry I shouldn’t have said complaining lol! The setup you’ve tested was pretty inefficient. The new setup just addresses your points directly. That’s all :slight_smile: