Cycles dumbass....

Right… I think I’m being really thick…

I’m using a Palit GTS450 sonic… which is a pretty reasonable card from what I can gather…

I’ve noticed through the test render forums that it seems a bit slow so I’m thinking it’s the settings in blender…

Just a couple of qq’s…

Render Tab

• For shading systems I’ve got Open Shading Language and GPU Compatible as my 2 options… GPU compatible is what i need isn’t it?

Sampling Tab

• I’ve currently got this set to progressive… I’m assuming Samples is the number of passes in the render… is that right?
  • If I uncheck progressive is this quicker? if so is it the AA samples that count as passes?

Performance Tab

• Threads - I understand this is related to the number of cores for cpu… does this affect if using gpu?

hope these are questions that are easily answered and I hope I can improve the speed of my renders… would have considered getting a second card and sli’ing them but would it give a noticable speed upgrade?

I have tried reading the wiki but nothing seems to sink in… cheers peeps…

For shading systems I’ve got Open Shading Language
OSL can only be rendered by your cpu. If you’re using your gpu you may want to turn this off

Please ignore this… I’ve just managed to actually use the gpu… I hadn’t set it up in the system settings… doh!!

Cheers for the reply btw… :smiley: