cycles for architecture and interior renders

Cycles renderer works perfect with Blender. And artists have done perfect interior renders with cycles.

Even other “perfect” renderers you have really bad examples.

Then again. I don’t understand what’s so special with interior render vs rendering a car. Both have to look good for the client in the end(if you’re doing it for money that is).

Well the difference is that interior renders are often lit through a small window and have a lot of indirect light. This is a difficult case to solve and one of the weak points of a unidirectional pathtracer. There are some solutions that converge faster or provide almost noise free results for interiors, like Bidirectional Pathtracing, Metropolis Sampling, Photon Mapping, Irradiance Caching.
But all this solutions have their problems, Photon Mapping and Irradiance Caching need way more memory and are biased, Bidirectional Pathtracing needs shaders that work bidirectional (it’s difficult to do with the quite flexible node based shader system) and Metropolis Sampling is hard to implement, makes the code quite complicated and probably slow on GPU.
There are renderers out there that implement these techniques and therefore get cleaner results in interiors.

Isn’t that what filmic is for? You just need enough samples to get good results. With denoiser you get rid of that pesky small noise.

Not at all what filmic is for. Filmic is a type of tonemapping and has no effect on sampling. The sampling requirements for interior scenes are more complex than the requirements for an outdoor scene.

If you don’t think there is a difference, try it out. Take the bmw benchmark and put the car in an enclosed garage.

jimmychaos I to find that blotching / watercolor effect troublesome in interiors. And, Ace at some point you reach a sample count that makes no sense given the results versus a straight render. But, it seems to do great in some renders. However, now I read where it can be a problem when animating which they will address later. A nice addition which will get better in time.