Cycles MLT patch

Another question about artist control:
If at some occasions this gives worse results then without, is it possible to code it in a way, that the artist doesn’t have to think whether to turn it on or not, that is, make it automatic?

There’s no way, the number of things you would have to code to take into account would be astronomical, on top of being ridiculously hard to create functions for. The scene analysis alone would likely take more time than you would save by just figuring out when to use the right tool.

Come on, don’t be lazy… Everybody has to experiment for awhile before finding a good render setup for their scene.

wow!
i mean… WOW!

Hey this is the wonderful News…

Web Development India | Wedding Websites Online

Wow indeed!

I want to try this. I hereby state that I am computer able but no tech-master, so may I ask a couple questions please :

• I get the latest trunk (since I have no previous) patch from the developers site and? how do I install it, is it an executable? Windows 7(32bit)
  • The Metropolis render is an option? correct? meaning if I have crashes/problems or just don’t like it, my usual path Cycles rendering option is there, as it was before?

Thank you,
Christos

Is it so hard just to paste MTL into Blender code now ?

Hi bluecd,
I assume you are replying to me.
Maybe not, if only I knew what you were talking about. You see I do not compile Blender, I just install it with the installer for Windows. So what I have as the Blender executable file is a “Blender.exe” file. I can’t “just paste” to that, can I?

You need to compile from source to use mlt at the moment. I’d say it’s not ready for primetime. Certain passes are overridden with debug info and it’s still rather slow and buggy. Promising future though!

OK, but I had long fight w/ MSVC 2008-2013 and Cuda Toolkit w/no success, eventually I had to reinstall Win7 (broken update feature),
so I have to wait for official builds-unfortunatelly… ((

Hi, there are builds with MLT on this page (first), read the thread, it is only 3 pages.

Cheers, mib.

Right, got it.Thx.

GPU ???

Hi Mib,
Yes I had read that and then went to the developer’s site and saw that he issues patches frequently. I now understand that those are not compiled?
So ok maybe even without the benefit of the most recent work in the patches, I might find it useful.
That brings me to question #2 : is the Metropolis renderer an option? I still have Cycles path rendering as it was before?
and a new Q#3: I just save a backup copy of the Blender.exe to restore running order as it was before trying the Metropolis? (Windows 7-32b / Blender 2.69)

Finally… is this renderer likely to be included in official release soon?

Please forgive my limited understanding of the uncompiled versions’ issues… Thank you

gpu rendering is disabled,
even for “normal” pathtracing…

Here is a case where standard Path Tracing appears to be superior.

Standard Path Tracing: ~11 min, 200 samples:

Metropolis Path Tracing: ~11 min, 64 samples:

Hey!! I just bought that Ge-Force 760
Is it only the Blender.exe file that changes? Will flipping blender.exe files from backup copies enable me to run one way or the other?

You don’t need to back up Blender. In fact you never even have to “install” Blender with the Windows installer. You can get it as a zipped file (which the metropolis build will come in) and proceed to have as many copies of Blender as you’d like. I personally have 5 different versions that I compile side by side. I have the master version, and four side branches that I keep updated to track the projects going on in them, including the metro build. Having multiple Blender versions in different folders will not conflict with one another at all, and will even share the same user settings.

So… where is the compiled, zip version , for Windows 7-32
I checked the first page again, but that is for Windows 7-64
I also checked the developer’s page referenced in page 1 of this thread (T38401 at blender.org). Plenty of .diff files there as patches but no zip.
Am I missing something? Can someone please post a direct link?

A patch file is basically a long page of text representing code along with additional text information that a compiler reads in order to apply the code to the code pulled down from the Blender Git repository (as in, where to add and remove code in which file), it’s not a fully-working build so don’t expect to see a copy of Blender open when you download and open the file. To get a build, it’s the job of the compiler to read the code and construct a fully working application from it (sending instructions to the computer that tell it what to do).

So there is no compiled version of this for Windows7-32?
If their is… a link please