Cycles NEEDS to move to OpenCL 2.0 for cards that support it

Ahhh Dude. Don’t take life so serious, all you just did is tell me what a hopeless Apple fan you are.

I dont talk bad about people, I just give personal opinion, I Never attack people based of race, faith, Disability. But i think a little ribbing about peoples hardware choices is just run of the mill. Some things within what i say are just tongue in cheek and not my fault if people who don’t have a sense of humor cant read between the lines. Im not a robot, I dont comply with political correctness, and that’s for a reason. If we were all the same life would be a terrible waste of time.

Quote: Notice something? , Yeah I did. You have a really pretentious member photo on here, Ooooooow you have only half your face shown and it’s in black and white, Wow you must be so cool. That Photo definitely tells me you an Apple fan.

Dude, you are such a fanboi.

Blender tried to embrace OpenCL for YEARS and they got nowhere till very recently. That was with the direct help of AMD themselves. I think the LuxRender team are one of the few teams who actually use OpenCL.

No matter what the fate of Blender and OpenCL, here is a thread that will put you on the right track:

Thanks thats very helpful. I just Love this Forum.

Trump Fan by any Chance?

Thanks for that, Appreciate it.

Teas_Monster, No matter what the fate of THE WORLD and OpenCL, here is a thread that will put you on the right track:

https://www.etsy.com/market/goat_lovers_gift

Oh yeah, We had a big Caribbean community where I used to live. I love goat, especially with plantains - Yumm!

Hey, if Trump blows up the world, then at least we wont’ have to listen to ATI fanbois demanding that programmers tie their code in knots to accommodate their graphic decelerators. :stuck_out_tongue:

OpenCL became somewhat usable not long ago. Rewriting code that is already working isn’t a priority for most developers and even less for a resource starved project like Blender.

Be thankful that AMD invested in the split kernel. Demanding and calling developers names isn’t getting you anywhere. Specially when these forums have been long forsaken by the community.

I haven’t said a bad thing about Devs, I take the piss a bit but never said anything other than their doing a great job. You show me when i have?.

Hey Look, about moving at least someway towards Opencl 2.0 has to happen. The WHOLE point was that as the Split Kernel is being worked on now is the best time to start to make these changes, CPU, Cuda are getting updates from this WHY not Opencl users.

This whole thread? You berated them constantly. I like this bit:

“So YES i AM a Dev, Im Just not a lackey.”

You are one of those people who think that they’re so intelligent others won’t notice when you insult them.

Hey, That comment was in response to being questioned on my ability by doublebishop.

Again it was tongue in cheek, Me being English and him Being Ausie. Im pretty sure doublebishop is more worried about getting a rugby team, Cricket team that can beat England or even an Olympic team that can beat us that me pulling his leg by calling him a lackey is the last thing on his mind.

Im English and Love the Ausie’s, It’s called Banter. But again many people dont understand humour, so take it how you like.

I knew when i started this thread it would ruffle feathers, But hey it needs to be said.

I will note that while it is true that you shouldn’t ask an AMD card to run a render engine, they are pretty decent for gaming and graphics in general (I haven’t had any major anomalies with Blender and Godot).

I will also note that Nvidia users have been seeing their share of bad driver updates as well. I will not get into the ‘which is better’ thing since GPU aficionados have a sad reputation of wasting hours of time in flamewars so as to defend their favorite brand.

@Ace Dragon, Just to make clear. I have nothing against you. Dont take anything on here personal.

Personal punches. Insults. Bickering. At this point I don’t see any further need to discuss if this is all it will be about.

OPenCL on Nvidia not only works just fine, it works better now than it had. @Ace Dragon, do you have any citation for this rumour? Because it seems to me Nvidia has put a lot of effort into optimizing it’s OpenCL drivers… At the moment the 1070 has the best price/performance of any OpenCL card I know of.

The actual content of what you’re saying (regarding OpenCL 2.0) isn’t what’s ruffling feathers. What you’re suggesting is generally benign. It’s that you’re being a jerk while saying it that’s a problem.

Now, as a moderator, I’ll request that everyone in this thread please refrain from descending to insults… or even discussions of tone. If you want to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of using OpenCL 2.0, please feel free. Anything else is off-topic.

Yeah As a Win10 user I can sing songs about the driver issues that happened - but recently it stabilized pretty well.

I honestly have no reference or such but openCL works in many apps behind the scene (Adobe and such)
where filter computation and such are accelerated this way.

I am not sure about Thea render - Pesto to my understanding can use CPU and GPU together via openCL.

Vulcan and Metal will be some interesting topics in the next years. Metal was first for iOS but now is also available for macOS and it offers openGL and openCL like abilities. AMD also tried their own thing but gave up.

Vulcan to me seems to be the most promising project since like with Metal those are new starts.

AMD didn’t give up Mantle, they gave it Khronos to use it as starting point for the Vulkan specification. But Vulkan and Metal are rasterization rendering APIs with compute capability, not gpgpu APIs. The are indeed promising projects, but I don’t see, how Cycles would benefit from using them. Metal might be interesting, but Vulkan and OpenCL are designed to coexist and to solve different problems.
And they are based on the same technology, because OpenCL and Vulkan are both using Spir-V as intermediate gpu language. Using Vulkan for Cycles wouldn’t make much sense, as it is basically the same tech with less gpgpu features and Cycles uses just those.

Cycles needs to target a language with sufficiently C-like semantics, anything else would amount to a massive rewrite. That means GLSL on Vulkan almost certainly isn’t gonna happen. GLSL is the only non-experimental frontend to Vulkan.

Technically, both OpenCL and GLSL can compile to SPIR-V (which Vulkan uses), but the OpenCL execution context is still different from the Vulkan Compute context. It might be feasible to create a C-like language to target Vulkan/Compute, but it’s probably not happening.

Metal on the other hand (from what little time I took to study it) seems sufficiently close to OpenCL that it might work as a Cycles backend. On Mac OS, Metal right now is the only way forward, but it’ll be tough finding developers to take that on.

It is a bad time to make any decision on which computing platform to support. I’d wait for someone else to ship a real product on OpenCL 2.x on AMD before even remotely considering to support it. If AMD instead focuses on HCC, it might end up on Mac OS (and Windows) too.