Cycles new microdisplacement testing, discussion and blend sharing

Hi, here is a basic scene for the camera based occlusion culling for those who are interested how it´s done.

OcclusionCulling.blend (569 KB)

its a custom node with a smoothing option YAFU :slight_smile:

Attachments

checker_texture_nudelZ.blend (306 KB)

and just for fun: a procedural planet with stereoscopic view

planet3d.blend (860 KB)

OK, I see you have a difficult time to recreate my setup, so let me help you:

Camera_Occlusion_Culling_Planet.zip

@nudelZ @DERBENDER @Kai Kostack. Thanks to all of you!

@Kai: I was thinking the same thing the other day and found something that makes me think it’s probably already part of OSD (to an extend): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhVqVukM_VI

“It would indeed be nice if the displacement shader output could be fed back into the modifier stack anyhow, I’m not sure how that would work best with shaders only being evaluated at render time.”

All amazing works!

@Kai
ESET is blocking your page.
… just so you know.

@burnin: Thanks, probably they are blocking all dynamic IP servers, unfortunately I have no influence on that.

Supergeil! Danke Jungs!

“Hey, could you add some geometry and quite a few greebles to this cylinder here?”
“Cool, I got most of the day off.”

Displacement modifier for the overall structure and adaptive subdivisions plus shader displacement for the details.
Peak memory: 1.544 gigs.
Using a GTX 660 with only 2 gig of VRAM.
I think this christmas I should gift myself a new graphics card. Looking foward to being able to use (around) four times the details. :slight_smile:

Just to add to what Brecht said, we’re basically talking about really only one part of the REYES algorithm, the dicing step. Micropolygon displacement is doing something similar to that. And while REYES is deprecated, PRMan is actually doing something similar to this in RIS for displacements.

Just downloaded 2.8 RC2. Love the new micro displacement feature. This is just a cube with 1 level of subsurf - and adaptive displacement set at a dicing rate of 0.5.

Magic Texture:

Wave Texture:

Voronoi Texture:

Hey Peeps,

Ive started working on some old Terrain setups from months back that never got the time to finish the packs for sale.

How eactly should someone approach using micro displace with the normal displace modifier? should i just apply the displace modifier with subsurf anf then use the micro displace within the procedural shader setup to mask affecting only the rock parts of the map (flats dont need the heavy displace, only rock area’s).

This is one of my maps with only the displace modifier applied at 8 Million tris, when ever i try to use micro displace with this setup Blender instant crash’s, Any ideas?

You can’t. The displacement modifier uses BI textures and works inside the modifier stack. The adaptive subdivision feature, despite being located in the modifier, doesn’t actually work within the modifier system. You may have noticed that the feature only works with subdivision modifiers at the bottom of the stack. That’s the reason I argue to move the UI for adaptive subdivision out of the modifier, or make adaptive subdivision work within the modifier system.

Whether you use subdivision or not, the actual displacement shown in this thread is a separate feature that only works at render-time. What you need to do is convert your displacement map setup to work inside a Cycles shader. Don’t use the displacement modifier, at all.

Not entirely true as my last image does use the displacement modifier. :slight_smile:

It’s true for adaptive subdivisions and the resulting high poly count that makes displaced details possible with relatively low resource usage.

Ugh!

Fair enough, to be very specific and avoid any further confusion:

The displacement feature in Cycles, which is the topic of this thread, is distinct from the displacement modifier. You can not use the “micropolygons” you get from adaptive subdivision in conjunction with the displacement modifier. You must use Cycles material displacement.

BeerBaron,

I know the Microdisplace is shader based, Sir Richfield has the right idea of what im trying to do.

Im using the normal displace and subdiv modifier for the base terrain detail but then want to use the Micro displace for rock details only within the shader setup. My question is whats the best way to do this.

Should i Apply the displace modifier and subdiv modifier to the terrain so in other words their will be no modifers in the stack anymore, the terrain will have that 8 million tris and original displace detail then baked directly into the mesh. Then use the micro displace within the shader to only add displace to the rocks by useing a mask map within the shader that would only Micro displace the rocks area’s.

But all the images show very low poly counts that people are using on objects when using the micro displace feature. But because my terrain will have a base face count of 8 million tris how should i set up the the adaptive diceing rule within the displace modifier that only affects the shader micro displacement? As the model has lots of face detail to begin with surly ill need to use much less Diceing than on an object with very low poly count?

Hi Guys, i saw the tutorial from Andrew Price and wanted to try a few things out but i cannot find the Adaptive Subdivision feature in the Subsurface modifier. Is there something i have to change first in the settings or anywhere or did they remove the feature in the newest build. I downloaded all available release candidates etc…

thx in advance and sry if this was a stupid question and actually im blind and missed something xD

Hi Guys, i saw the tutorial from Andrew Price and wanted to try a few things out but i cannot find the Adaptive Subdivision feature in the Subsurface modifier. Is there something i have to change first in the settings or anywhere or did they remove the feature in the newest build. I downloaded all available release candidates etc…

thx in advance and sry if this was a stupid question and actually im blind and missed something xD