Cycles new microdisplacement testing, discussion and blend sharing

A question:

Would microdisp. feature enable creation of real-world uneven, shattered edges of an object (ag. building, wall etc) ??

On this blend the render is ok for me.

But when I use calmut clark, blender chrashes.

I love it so far.
Something I have noticed is that playing with nodes for displacement doesn’t reflect on viewport: you have to switch to solid or wireframe, and back to “rendered” for changes to apply…

example file and build worked very nicely for me. It only crashed once, when I pushed the max subdividsion to 14…

microdisplacement.blend
for this file it crashes with subdiv catmult!

happy cl

I think the code implementation for the moment allows flat mesh or open mesh (plane, circle, …) to use linear not Catmull-clark and close mesh like cube can use linear and Catmull-clark.
Yes i confirm that crash here as well.
Here a pic of microdisplacement.blend file rendered with cube and catmull-clark

View Pic
@nudelZcan you share your file to see how your texture looks like? Those are really impressive details that you are pulling out.

I saw patches but i didn’t merge with branch waiting for devs to do so and then i will update the build.

Tooo bad it doesn’t support UV maps (yet) :frowning: is it planned to?

Sorry for the confusion, perhaps you have read my previous comment. I am using Blender from master where the code is not fully implemented yet. It seems from the microdisplace branch it support UV maps.

First of all
yeahhhh :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
thats cool !!

Tested a bit and doesnt work with catmull. Another thing preview is realy slow compared to final render but works.
Realy happy to see that it works and is in progress!

Thanks a lot !

Attachments

MMMmmm I didn’t read your comment but thanks anyway, yeeeei great UVs, and is it too much to ask for a bake microdisplacement ? xD

Just a test with textures from Christoph Schindelar

Attachments

Hmmmm ok, it works only on closed meshes. I made my plane into a cube and it works. :slight_smile:

This looks amazing. Just wondering what the advantages are over the old subdivide/multires workflow. Looking forward to a Mac build too if anyone feels like it :slight_smile:

Yeah, for Mac!!! Please!!!

Ok, with the newest official beta on OSX.
Here it is on GPU! 3x GTX 6GB, it took barely 20 seconds!
Subdivision in Full glory from a flat plane + a noise displacement :slight_smile:
3 Pictures: 1. Both, 2. True only (catmull rom), and 3. Both.
Dice Rate=2.0

So is this already implemented ??? Or is the temp-branch-micropoly sth different ? Anyone ?

Attachments

Not so bad, avoid repetition by mixing textures

Looks like the main code is in master now. 1, rB3068ea34e414 2, rB71588300d233 3, rB9f39619ddadee
New code will probably go into temp-cycles-microdisplacement (Code history) first and then into master later.

looking at it makes me wonder, what if blender had fractal alike noise textures

I think you should change color to non-color data as to not color correct the texture before using it.

PERFECT!

That works well. That plus setting the black to -1 with a color curves gives me what I was after.
Nice tip.

Glenn

This is mindblowing work from devs! I get mixed information from this thread, can someone specify if the GPU render is officially supported or not? Tnx