Cycles Normal node nonfunctional under CPU with OSL enabled

I’ve been trying out some OSL-based shading the last couple of days and so have been rendering on my CPU. Tonight I discovered the Normal node doesn’t seem to function when rendering on CPU with OSL enabled. Is this true or am I missing something?

I made a simple material to test this out:

The GPU renders as expected.

Switching to CPU rendering and now it renders improperly.

Checking the Fresnel node to make sure that wasn’t the problem. It works fine.

I don’t normally render on the CPU, so please let me know if I’m doing something wrong. If not, then the Normal node seems bugged.

EDIT:
I turned off OSL and now it renders properly on the CPU. Is there a way around this issue? I was hoping to control some rim lighting with the Normal node using a few OSL nodes in the mix.

EDIT 2:
I see this is a known bug. Anyone know any workarounds? Normal and vector calculations aren’t my thing.

OSL is CPU only.
You need an OSL script node pointing at an OSL shader to employ OSL rendering.

An example:

The OSL node has been renamed fresnel_interference and will look different depending on the OSL shader file in the text field. Youtube a tutorial or try the manual.

The latest Blender nightly build fixed the bugged Normal node behavior, but is extremely unstable. I didn’t even consider looking for OSL fresnel scripts. Thank you for the suggestion.