Cycles Specular Maps

elbrujodelatribu,

very interesting, thanks for sharing. I probably should just try it out myself but I still don’t have time right now, so I’ll ask: the ao map is used as roughness control. Doesn’t that mean that where there’s more occlusion (more black), it’s more shiny? I’m a bit confused by that. But it might just work with rocks, so I really should play with it myself. Interesting, in any case.

Thanks @Sanne. The AO Map I have used is BW, but basically white or clear. As you know white translate to 1 for roughness and black to 0. So it marks little areas around all the object with low roughness, so they are more reflective or glossy. The Specular Map is BW as well, but basically black or dark. So I have used it to mark certains specular areas (as mix factor). If I would have used this specular map for roughness, the surface would be very glossy (like a wet surface).

This is another example:

elbrujodelatribu, ah, I see, mostly white AO map, so most areas have very blurry reflections, nearly diffuse (near 1). But still, the lower values of your AO map correspond to the cracks (more occlusion, less white, lower value, less roghness) and with that are more shiny than the other regions with more white and higher values, that’s what confuses me. Unless the AO map is inverted.

I’m only looking at the glossy node btw, I have no problems with the rest of the setup.

tl;dr: cracks are shiniest unless AO map is inverted.