Cycles thread contribution labels

Sorry, couldn’t think of a good title.

I’m rendering with 2 different GPUs and a CPU. Is there a way to know how much each is contributing? Maybe there’s a log somewhere that I could look at to figure out the percentage of image each completed or something?
I’d love each device to be color coded or something. In Vray (at least in 3dsMax) they label each by machine when network rendering. Something like that would be cool if it existed.

I also thought I’d have a lot more buckets, but I’m guessing it only gives one bucket per GPU rather than splitting threads for number of processes. That’s probably good because that would be an insane number of threads.

BTW, I’m using a daily build which I update about once a week and have it set to the experimental set. It crashes, yeah, but not all that much and with the improvements I’ve gone from 15 minute renders down to 2.5 min. So that’s HUGE! Totally worth crashing a little. I need displacement, otherwise I might want to risk the crashes from Eevee. I’m not quite that brave though.

I’m rendering with 2 different GPUs and a CPU. Is there a way to know how much each is contributing? Maybe there’s a log somewhere that I could look at to figure out the percentage of image each completed or something?
I’d love each device to be color coded or something. In Vray (at least in 3dsMax) they label each by machine when network rendering. Something like that would be cool if it existed.

Sadly, no. Cycles is pretty lacking in the logging department in general, I’m afraid. Even just a verbose log that broke down what % of buckets went to each device would be nice.

I also thought I’d have a lot more buckets, but I’m guessing it only gives one bucket per GPU rather than splitting threads for number of processes. That’s probably good because that would be an insane number of threads.

GPU devices have only 1 bucket each. CPU devices get 1 bucket per logical core. So if you have 2 GPUs and a 8core/16 thread CPU, and have all devices enabled in preferences, you’ll get 18 buckets.

Thanks for the reply. It’s unfortunate that your reply started with “sadly,” but at least I have an answer.

I think I have 8 CPU threads and then the two graphics cards. It goes too fast to count easily, but it seems like it could be 10 buckets.

Now I really want to just put together a machine that has several mid-high end graphics cards, as well as a couple thunderbolt ports, and add a couple external ones as well. The thing would be damn near instant…maybe. lol

I think I could do it for about 5-6K, which is Nuts. A few years ago that would have had to cost 15K easy. Now I just need to get my hands on an extra 5-6K. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Forgot about this, was reminded from another discussion: when using CPU+GPU mode, one CPU thread won’t be used to keep a core free to handle the GPU-rendering overhead. So you’d get 9 buckets, not 10.