Cycles vs. Blender Internal vs. Others

Yes, some are not developed anymore, nonetheless they render.
Some might be dead links by now and moved to another place, and some completely vanished being bought by some company.
And there are also a few not on the list, but it’s to cumbersome by now to maintain the list as it became a behemoth :wink:

I love these troll-y threads, it’s like Winton vs Georgian Oils, but personally I’m a Winton man :slight_smile: Versus versus versus, your skills versus your vision, that’s the real fight, figure it out.

Some of us like old Hammers, they are consistent :slight_smile:

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Lighting and Rendering”

Another idea to remember is that you can use more than one renderer, or rendering approach, in the same project at the same time.

Instead of dreaming of “the perfect(!) exposure will pop out of the computer, like Venus :eek: popping out of that clam-shell … (and starkers, no less!) … if only I wait long enough,” think of the final-shot as something that you will build up, through compositing.

It used to be that, when you wanted to make a record, a bunch of musicians gathered around a microphone and someone started the wax-disc recorder, and you made copies of that disc and “that was it.” But then a guy named Les Paul invented the notion of multi-track recording. Now, artists walk in to an empty studio, record their little piece in a soundproof room, take their check and go home. Days or weeks later, a “mix-down” occurs in which all those isolated, separately-prepared pieces are combined into a final deliverable. (And, trust me on this, many “famous stars” today survive and exist only because of that ‘Photoshop for the human voice’ fixer-upper technology!)

So… maybe Cycles cranks out that great, softly-lit interior of the bakery. A different setup gives a luscious loaf of bread. Another, say BI-based render gives the glistening specular highlights that say, “hot out of the oven (yum!).” And if you looked at any of those secondary renders you’d see just a few yummy-looking blotches of light surrounded by a frame-full of Alpha=0.0 “nothing.” But, combine them together in that wonderful mixing-board called the node-based compositor and … a finished picture begins to be constructed, piece by piece.

“That’s the way ya do it!”

Thanks for the replies, that long list will make for some interesting reading, and I think I should definitely do some more research on how rendering actually works.

One question that I have after reading some of these comments: if I am going to try compositing renders from different renderers, does each renderer require you to re-do textures and lighting? I know that going from BI to cycles and back, you need to re-do these, but I haven’t played with any of the others.

http://www.gouptoday.info/avatar3.jpgYou’d have to be a bit more specific as to which features you’re going to need.