Cycles X in Blender 3.0.0 - settings

Hi there.
I am kinda struggling with cycles X settings.
Somehow the tiling settings are not very clear to me.
It was usual in older cycles to set a tile size and thread count. Now I can set both but my PC renders like it was using only one tile.

Why? How do I set it to use all my 64 CPU cores?
And also where is now the option to set the Hilbert spiral?

Thanks for your help everybody!

some additional information

With the Cycles X update, tiled rendering was removed in favour of progressive rendering, which is now a lot faster. This means that you can do cool stuff like set a time limit on a render, or just wait until it looks good enough, and stop it then. Also, because there aren’t any tiles any more, you don’t need to set the pattern, such as the Hilbert spiral.

I’m not sure what’s going on in that screenshot, could you explain it?

1 Like

Don’t forget to check the release note about this: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/3.0/Cycles

1 Like

Tiles are still present but are not used to tune performance. You can in fact set tile size back to 32px or 512px as it was in old Cycles.

1 Like

Thanks very much Mr. Stevenson.
That basically covers the answer.

The screenshot just shows my CPU specs. and one 16 px tile trying to be 64 tiles.

Have a great day!
Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, but there is somehow always just one tile.

Huh, I didn’t realize that. What are they used for if not performance?

Yes, that’s how it is supposed to work.
I replied with some details about it in other thread you posted. Also tiling is pretty well described in release notes linked above by @Vinc3r

Memory optimization when rendering very high resolution. So you don’t need 1TB of RAM to progressively render 16k image for example.
It’s all in the release notes.

1 Like

Ah yeah that makes sense, thanks!

1 Like

This is pretty clever solution. Since you can manually set tile size you can dynamically switch between tile/progressive based on render size.

1 Like

Though, it always looks like only “one thread” in older Cycles. Which freaks me out - seems like CPU is counting only with one core.
But YES . it only seems this way)