Cycles-X

Bryce had that feature, it’s not that far off.

Bump and displacement is working properly again (it broke in a previous commit).
https://developer.blender.org/rB54e91c8df8cfc0157b4eb7b66ff612608880b132

3 Likes

This post removed by popular demand

You just have to wait for them to update it, a few days ago, windows builds were the most up to date, now it’s linux (May 17).

Or you can build it yourself from source (if i’m not mistaken) and get the latest commits.

And now the render kernels won’t compile here.

CUDA version 11.3 detected, build may succeed but only CUDA 10.1 and 10.2 are officially supported.
Compiling CUDA kernel ...
"nvcc" -arch=sm_61 --cubin "/home/xxxxx/src/blender-3.0.0-alpha+cycles-x.54e91c8df8cf-linux.x86_64-release/3.0/scripts/addons/cycles/source/kernel/device/cuda/kernel.cu" -o "/home/xxxxx/.cache/cycles/kernels/cycles_kernel_sm_61_B8EE01781FE55FD4FEFCADD2A0782E58.cubin" -m64 --ptxas-options="-v" --use_fast_math -DNVCC -I"/home/xxxxx/src/blender-3.0.0-alpha+cycles-x.54e91c8df8cf-linux.x86_64-release/3.0/scripts/addons/cycles/source" -DWITH_NANOVDB -D __NO_SHADER_RAYTRACE__
/usr/include/c++/11.1.0/bits/stl_pair.h(460): error: argument list for class template "std::pair" is missing

/usr/include/c++/11.1.0/bits/stl_pair.h(460): error: expected a ")"

/usr/include/c++/11.1.0/bits/stl_pair.h(460): error: template parameter "_T1" may not be redeclared in this scope

/usr/include/c++/11.1.0/bits/stl_pair.h(460): error: expected a ";"

4 errors detected in the compilation of "/home/xxxxx/src/blender-3.0.0-alpha+cycles-x.54e91c8df8cf-linux.x86_64-release/3.0/scripts/addons/cycles/source/kernel/device/cuda/kernel.cu".
Failed to execute compilation command, see console for details.

Refer to the Cycles GPU rendering documentation for possible solutions:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

Same here on the last windows build from today.

Or rather then as an image map/painting type thing, wouldn’t it be better if it was a setting on the material/shader. So for said caustics/glass material you can increase the ‘samples factor’ above say the standard 1 that just applies the default samples setting.

So if you say had samples at 200, then for the glass material, you set the sample factor to 2 and for just that material it will sample at 400, while everything else is still 200.

the problem with that is for caustics, the effect is often visible on a material that isn’t making the effect.

the blue glass suzanne is pretty well converged, but the simple diffuse plane is under sampled.

Statement from Brecht.

Note that in general, we will not investigate bugs reported for the branch at this stage, here or on developer.blender.org . The branch is a prototype at this point. There are many known issues marked in the code, and failing tests. It’s more efficient for us to fix those first, rather than investigating .blend files and finding that it’s already a known issue.

If the branch is useful to someone that’s fine, but not that it may get even less stable as we make further changes.

In other words, he doesn’t want people to complain if things break, because everything is still quite experimental with a lot of deep changes going in. The devs. are usually serious when they say it is not ready to be used for heavy production work (especially if it is not at the point where bugs can be reported).

11 Likes

I wasn’t reporting, was just saying, although it’s a clear regression in the code - no blend file needed. This is with the default cube.

1 Like

Yep its definitely still in alpha and so i expect things to break. Currently on my system viewport denoising of both types just give a black screen for example, its probably a known issue. its still useful when you just want to get a casual render done in less than half the time. I went from 20 mins down to 8 mins in a large render with some complex materials.

Hi, today was a mail about buildbot maintenance and some changes.
The CyclesX brach is changed to nightly build.
It should be build tonight for the first time, I hope.
Listed in the “Build Pipelines”:

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Infrastructure/BuildBot

I can build the branch but Optix is not working for me lately.

Cheers, mib

True, but in theory it wouldn’t be too hard to apply the extra sampling on the transmission rays of the material. Since it still not the floor material that needs the extra samples, its the glass material on the monkey which is casting the shadows/caustics that needs the extra samples. In your image the rest of the floor and hence it’s material is mostly OK, only the spot with the caustics and hence monkey material that needs more samples.

CUDA version 11.2 detected, build may succeed but only CUDA 10.1 and 10.2 are officially supported.
Compiling CUDA kernel …
“nvcc” -arch=sm_86 --cubin “D:\Blender\blender-3.0.0-alpha+cycles-x.54e91c8df8cf-windows.amd64-release\blender-3.0.0-alpha+cycles-x.54e91c8df8cf-windows.amd64-release\3.0\scripts\addons\cycles\source\kernel\device\cuda\kernel.cu” -o “C:\Users\Keno\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\cache\kernels\cycles_kernel_sm_86_ED116A1D9E937DAEEBC623CD63A58EDB.cubin” -m64 --ptxas-options="-v" --use_fast_math -DNVCC -I"D:\Blender\blender-3.0.0-alpha+cycles-x.54e91c8df8cf-windows.amd64-release\blender-3.0.0-alpha+cycles-x.54e91c8df8cf-windows.amd64-release\3.0\scripts\addons\cycles\source" -DWITH_NANOVDB -D NO_SHADER_RAYTRACE
nvcc fatal : Cannot find compiler ‘cl.exe’ in PATH
Failed to execute compilation command, see console for details.

Got this same errors on the last builds

Hello! This happened to me also. I have both 11.1 and 10.2 installed, I just made sure they both were in the CUDA path. I also have MS Visual Studio installed, so I looked for the cl.exe compiler and added it to the PATH enviroment variable. After this it worked as usual.
Cheers

The other version of cycles-x didn’t need that!!! :frowning:
I don’t even know how to do it !

Fixed in last night’s build (certainly on Linux).

1 Like

Well, that’s why those versions are experimental, they are prone to fail at some point, it’s something the devs already said.
If you want to test these versions regularly without pulling your hair, you should get into building your own blender and get familiar with the process, even if you don’t build it for every change they make. It helped me understand up to some point what it’s needed to compile and where it is failing, even if I can’t fix it.
You can find info about building blender here:
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender/Windows
It may look like quite complex, but it’s not that difficult if you follow the doc.

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why Cycles-X and not Eevee?

I’ve just moved a whole bunch of posts that were replies to a post that was cross-posted from here. You’re welcome to continue discussion there.

6 Likes