Cycles-X

Cycles -X anomalously fast compared with E-Cycles 7 Alpha with this test on a Ryzen1700X + GTX 1070. Can anyone else confirm?

Screen shots

Settings as below then - saved the file and then render in Cycles X.

Why is Cycles X more than twice as fast?

4 Likes

to my understanding X-Cycles does not a lot of what E-Cylces did

what do you mean? in terms of features?

Hey look, someone else who can claim a lifetime of E-cycles licenses! :laughing:

1 Like

Are the settings between E Cycles and Blender Cycles X cross-compatible? The two renders differ significantly. And all three look completely different from one another as well, so that the Cycles X and vanilla Cycles do not compare either. I am not prepared to say which is better. They are simply all different levels of noise and color.

In terms of code clean up and resulting speed ups

CyclesX seem to skip further samples which is great, so for example that upper test could be going like 998… 1000 …1002 …1128… 1256… 1512 …2048 and its done

then heavier scene stills ticks 2 samples second all the way to 3000

I hope that’s what’s gonna happen with cycles x however. Brecht said that they were going to do a deep code rewrite and optimization to bring it up to speed with modern techologies

1 Like

Last I checked the E-Cycles dev. did his work (at least initially) by building on the existing Cycles core.

Brecht and Sergey meanwhile more or less tore large chunks of the core out and rewrote it with the latest technology and API’s in mind. The best way to keep these commercial forks relevant would be for those devs. to either rework or rewrite their work to use Cycles X as the new base.

that is very interesting that the commercial devs were able to get that speed boost without adding ontop

I think Brecht and Sergeys approach however makes more sense to prepare Cycles for the future and get a speed boost in addition is an amazing plus

Cycles: add view layer option to disable motion blur, in the Filter panel

So this got committed, and it’s definitely a step in a right direction. i just hope they’ll do the same with dof option in viewlayer filter panel. Cant even remember how many times i had to make separate scenes or even a blend files just to have some viewlayer render without dof.

3 Likes

A number of volume rendering features have been restored (emission, scattering, heterogenous, ect…)
rB6e039b09f9a0 (blender.org)
rB40311a59ecbc (blender.org)

The sampling as of now may not yet be as efficient as in master, but that is coming.

11 Likes

If camera is inside volume object, volume do not work.

1 Like

There is initial support for multiple GPUs in the branch, for those who have the possibility to test it :slight_smile:

https://developer.blender.org/rB8b4acade6c10d2978584e5819aace106046435f8

6 Likes

isn’t it GPU+CPU as well as multiple GPU?

If you read the thing, it’s written

This change makes it possible to render single frame on multiple GPUs
and/or GPU(s)+CPU. (as configured in the User Preferences).

I had, and that’s why i asked, coz you had just multiple gpu written.

Ah yes sorry, my bad :grimacing:

1 Like

Interresting thing this Cycles-X
will it handle height baking and proper objects with alpha textures baking ? :smiley:

afaik it should get feature parity with current Cycles.
And then beyound, like a new shadow catcher implementation, and the chance to see some fancy algorithm for better sampling and better tracing of difficult paths