Cycles-X

They have not started to merge yet. If you can reproduce in regular cycles, file the bug and mention the exact version that works and the version that doesn’t as well as providing a small file to reproduce.

Interesting, I thought that Brecht said they will be moving the X code soon into main.

The same file renders broken in the version from yesterday but works perfectly fine in a version from some days ago, maybe a week or so. In fact, I wasted overnight rendering since half the stuff came out black because I was using yesterday’s version, basically I did not test it properly before moving to rendering the project.

I will try to file a bug when I can get to it.

I have literally just posted a test of beer, in glass, with volumetric foam, rendered in CyclesX, which has rendered fine. I wouldn’t be so quick to blame CyclesX code for this.

Hi.
In the following thread is where users mention about Cycles-X problems for now.

4 Likes

This weeks rendering meeting (the part related to Cycles X)

Cycles

• Cycles X: main development happening is still regarding tiled and resumable rendering. Sergey has many of the pieces, patches are being incrementally finished and review. No major other changes besides small feature completeness and fixes.
    Anisotropic SSS is practically ready, expected to be committed within the next few days. Only needs a few smaller changes to work more robustly with high albedo and anisotropy. Christophe will start on MNEE next.
  • AMD sent initial code and early drivers for HIP implementation for Cycles X. This is not yet available publicly, and does not yet support hardware ray-tracing. Performance looks promising comparing to CUDA. Cycles developers will look at the code and give early feedback, by the end of August. William will be the main Cycles developer responsible for feedback and testing of this backend.
  • Kévin created patches to reduce memory usage and copying overhead of positions and normals for texturing and normal mapping. Patches are under review.
  • Facebook has a patch to avoid copying of geometry arrays for cases like the Alembic procedural, by referencing memory instead of copying it. Patch will be submitted for review.
  • William still works on improving the PMJ sampling implementation so we can make it the only sampling pattern. Still running benchmarks, performance and noise is getting close to Sobol. It’s a bit slower still, but required for adaptive sampling which can bring much bigger speedups.
11 Likes

Quoting myself might seem tacky, but that was fast (will be found in the next Cycles X experimental buildbot build).
rB7811c1147230 (blender.org)

1 Like

I hope this goes well. We need the competition.

4 Likes

Volume roughness, volume iridescence, dispersion… ?

2 Likes

Such an initial version is always a huge milestone. I would be surprised if there weren’t plenty of issues, it would at least not be unusual and it is often a necessary hurdle to take. Fantastic to see such a commitment!

2 Likes

where? donde?

OptiX is not available (only Cuda) since the 15th July build. I have downloaded various previous builds to test where it began to happen, and the last build that had working OptiX is the 14th July build.

Optix is aviable for me on the last build…
Nvidia 471.41 drivers installed !

1 Like

I installed the latest driver (471.68) and OptiX worked again. I had been using 462 or something, and it was not that old, so I did not think that Blender needed that new driver to work. Thanks.

1 Like

Wow Principled BSDF is now updated has the following;

Random Walk (fixed Radius)
Subsurface IOR
Subsurface Anistropy

8 Likes

Any news about tile rendering?

1 Like

There was a live stream a few days ago showing one of the devs working on it. From memory, there were issues with getting it to work. It kept getting stuck on some tiles.

2 Likes

Does anyone have an in-depth tutorial about Adaptive Sampling? I’ve been struggling with a denoising issue for like a year that only happens when Adaptive Sampling is active. Apparently I never actually tried changing the values, just activated the checkbox. I changed it for the first time today and the huge problem went away but introduced a new small problem.

i just read the last rendering meeting notes…

i wonder… will the AMD HIP support only work with AMD raytracing hardware or also with a bit older GPUs?

What i last saw stated, that this patch did not utilise AMD raytracing hardware yet.

Edit: Actually it is a few post above

1 Like

Any idea when Shadow Catcher will work again?