Dahlia Flower(Blender Internal)

Hello, here is my newest creation, I was trying to go for a nice realistic pretty look, i think i got half and half lol

Here is the inspiration

http://wallike.com/yellow-dahlia-flower.html

Tell me what you think

Now that i look at it the colours seem a bit strange so here is a slightly altered version

Any comments

Looks like a Dahlia :slight_smile:
If you want it to look like a photo you can work a little bit more on the shape of the petals and use Subsurface scattering. I think that would improve it a lot.

i gave subsurface a shot but i dont really know how it works

Heres a version with full sample :slight_smile:

well you are close to your reference picture. the elements in the middle should be a bit more bend to the inside, thinner and also placed a bit lower. The pit of the middle elements are also nearly closed on the reference image.
And last but not least, you have no translucency. I am really not an expert for that, but maybe you try to use the translucency value of the material.

Overall it looks pretty nice and i dont even knew about that plant until this day :-D.

It actually does have translucency but it doesn’t really show through

but if someone could give me some good subsurface settings that would be great

does anyone know anything about subsurf materials

Like guys said,first polish your model, because now it looks like a bunch of tulips.
Render a few simple objects together, until you achieve wanted result, then apply it to your model.

Google does

Take care

im actually happy with the model, i was just hoping someone knew some more specific material set ups i could use… not really the kindof info you would find on google, i have looked lol

anyways ive been experimenting with it, im finding that the top layer of petals is much darker with subsurface on, could someone tell me why

anyways ive been experimenting with it, im finding that the top layer of petals is much darker with subsurface on, could someone tell me why

I think, that is because the volume density increases from the border to the middle.

does anyone know of anyway to make the subsurf evenly spread throughout the model… I did try looking it but i cant find anything