Daily reminder, this was made in 1985

Yeah, everything in that Seaquest thing is now basically Eevee plus Fog.
If we went back in time and show them the real-time-ness of Eevee plus depth of field, they might worship us as Gods.
ha ha ha

Gosh this stupid statement makes me laugh so hard.

Ok that’s it, who want to work with me to create a Star Trek…I mean Sea Quest…I mean…Andromeda I mean…some space thingy ?

I have written three Sci-Fiction books, let’s pick one and make a short film out of it !

“Koff, koff …”“wheeze”'scuse me?

(“These kids today!”)

"Reality check – nothing has changed."

The 1980’s represented an era when semiconductor technology was literally “evolving under our feet,” and software development was likewise pushing the envelope.

"Reality check – we are still pushing the envelope!"

Here on this forum today, we are “pushing envelopes” that once were unimaginable.

… However, it would also be very well to point out: “what happened to us, is guess-what also going to happen to you!” :slight_smile:

Yep … in the year 2030 or 2040, you might be sharing a digital drink with your personal robot, sitting out there on your holodeck, laughing over the fate of “that once-significant piece of software known as ‘Blender.’”

And, I say – “whatever happens, just roll with it.” You, also, were destined to “live in interesting times!”

I have a few original Babylon 5 scene files. I loaded them up onto a AMD 3960 thread ripper. They took all of 3 seconds to render. I think originally they were like 20 to 40 minutes a frame on a Dec Alpha Machine. Granted they were only 720x486 resolution.

No…wait…you serious about having the original scene files ?

Please don’t lie about these, fans has been crazy trying to contact the people who have it because they are trying to fulfill the HD dream !

The last official port was terrible !

Only a few scene files and some models. I managed to get a hold of them because I wanted the reference for scratch building a real world model of the Star Fury.
As far as an HD version of B5 I doubt that will ever happen. Warner brothers has no interest and Michael J Straczynski has said it is never going to happen. I don’t think it’s even technically possible because. I know it’s not financially possible. Lets not kid ourselves the show showed aired on Saturday afternoons because they stopped showing bowling tournaments and needed something to fill the time.

Personally I’m not all that fond of re rendering or replacing the effects in Old Movies and TV. I remember watching something one way and then re seeing it with updated shots is jarring. Also kind of creepy. The past you remember no longer exists.

Speak for yourself, I need me some Star Trek Voyager in HD ;-p Voyager has some of the best space scenes of its time.

I think for the pilot of Voyager they were still using physical Models. At some point Foundation imaging took over and started doing CG. But they were still constrained by what the producers would let them do. You might find this interesting http://blog.trekcore.com/2013/07/voyagers-visual-effects-creating-the-cg-voyager-with-rob-bonchune/

Oh I do remember reading that article a number of times…what we fans wouldn’t do to get that original lightwave model…oh man…

Oh man oh man…

The sci-tech guys in the 1960’s promised personal robots, flying cars, and buildings high in the sky on poles by the year 2000. It is the year 2020 and we have bipedal robots and advanced neural-based AI, but nothing that combines them, cars are getting smarter but they are still ground-based, and homes filled with high-tech devices but still sitting on the ground. Also to note is not even Star Trek is that optimistic on Holodecks, and it is very likely that Matrix-level VR (with virtual robots and drinks) will get into homes first.

This isn’t meant to be pessimistic by the way, but all of the rosy tech. timelines underestimate just how difficult it is to develop these things and just how much supporting tech. needs to be developed before work even begins.

Blender survived at least 20 years so far, it could very well be that it becomes so proficient at helping beginners create amazing, massively detailed work and animation that it will become impossible to really stand out (because everyone can now be a great artist).