Dark Faces and Weird Smoothing

(Sorry for the re-upload, accidentally hit ctrl+enter and posted prematurely :’) )

Hi! I’m currently following this tutorial series and am creating my first character model! I’ve hit a bit of a snag, have done a bit of searching, but not much has helped.

A few faces of my model are darker than others, some faces exist without an edge connecting its two verts, and I think as a result, the subdivision surface modifier is turning out really funky.

I’ve checked my normals, remove doubles doesn’t detect anything, and I have no clue what to do with those weird faces without edges.

I’ll attach some screens and the .blend, thanks so so much to anyone willing to help this noob!

(Google Drive) .blend and screenshots, since I’m limited in attachments :’)

First I always recommend that if you work with subdiv, you deactivate what is indicated in red so that you can see the true mesh.
I couldn’t figure out what the problem is but it seems that deleting the vertex and creating a new one solves the problem, you may have created an extra face idk
I also recommend that you try to form only squares, I’m not sure but that can help with the shadows
Finally, something that someone recommended to me is never to make poles of 6 edges, 5 maximum (yellow)

1 Like

Thank you! This is perfect, I could’ve sworn I’d tried deleting and re-creating the vertex and it didn’t work, but I’ll definitely go ahead any try it again!!
Thanks so much for the tips also, I’ll definitely remember them!

1 Like

that’s weird, how do you create faces exactly? Maybe you are selecting the vertices of more than one face to create several faces at the same time, if you do that maybe you will create extra faces that you did not expect

1 Like

Normally, I’d just select the four verts and hit F, I think maybe my issue was that sometimes I’d create an edge subdividing the face, but it’d instead just create one face that stretches over half of the original? If that makes any sense at all haha! I went ahead and did what you suggested and it’s 100% fine now! :sweat_smile:

1 Like