DAZ Importer

I’m running into the same issue. I am not sure what you mean by correct the roll. What should it be set at? I can’t seem to figure out how to make my fingers not go all over the place.

Import your Daz character, working through all the necessary steps to complete “Rigify” and finish the import.

Once you finalize the import:

-You’ll need to makes sure axis is viewable from the settings panel in Blender.

-The original Daz skeleton should have the proper bone roll before “Rigify”, with “Z” pointing towards the palm.

-The issue is that after rigifying the character the “Rigify” rig now has curupted finger roll directions.

-View the finger bones and notice the the “Z” axis is pointing away from the palm on multiple digits.

-Solve this by clicking on the Rigify rig and going to edit mode. The underlying bones will be visible now.

-Adjust bone roll with all finger rolls pointing in the same direction. (Three separate roll adjustments per finger) “Z” needs to be facing palm. (If finger was to curl, Z would hit the palm).

****(Tip)-- hide “Tweek” controllers. If those are changed along with finger bones it will mess up the rotation of the fingers.

-Adjust for every finger and both hands. Pop into pose mode and you’re are done. Rotation with “X” will cause the finger to curl properly now if using “Local” rotation setting.

-Make sure rotation is set to “Local” (Top of Viewport) default will be set to “Global”.
This isn’t a must, but Global causes the curl of the finger to happen with another axis, I believe it’s “”Z” with Global.

I always animate in local rotation space.

Hope this helps!
Tim

Thanks for the response! I did manage to figure out a lot of that since I first had the problem. I didn’t know about the tweak bones though. I think posting the details of the fix will help the next person with the same issue.

Also, you don’t necessarily have to switch to local using the drop down. You can just double tap your direction when rotating to switch on the fly. That may be more for the next person too if you already knew that.

1 Like

Glad you got it working!

I use the double tap feature also, but when I’m strictly animating I like to just change the function up top.

It probably cannot be done, because until now I did not know that such a thing existed. Can I find info and lod files somewhere, so I can have a look and perhaps implement it.

1 Like

Im new to this myself, so I cant help :frowning: This is the tab I’m talking about though:

And to be honest, you already have the option to import as low poly so maybe dont bother with that.

Now another quick question, how do I get rid of the bone system and keep just my plain geometry? I tried manually deleting it but then the model gets stuck, I cant move it anymore! I dont need the bones/skeleton at all.

The bones (armatures) are necessary to have the model move out of their default position. It’s a static prop without that. If you want to hide them it’s

HideStuff

You can get Blender’s equivalent to SubD levels with a subdivision modifier.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try to hide them and see if it helps. However, I dont mind it being a static prop. The thing is once I deleted the bones I cannot move the object as a whole at all. It is stuck in the position it was and nothing I do works to fix it. I hit G and nothing.
Do you know how a workaround for that?

And about the subd, I actually wanted a lower res import from DAZ, not more subd, less haha

The panel you show is for subdividing, i.e. increasing the mesh density rather than reducing it. The add-on already creates a subsurf modifier if SubDIvision Level > 0. Though I now notice that it sets the render level to SubDivision Level and the viewport level to one less, whereas Render SubD Level is ignored. Not sure if that is worth changing.

LOD info is added from Edit > Object/Figure > Geometry > Add Level of Detail in my version of Daz Studio. It then asks for an obj file which presumably contains the low-poly mesh. It is these files the I cannot find. I found some info at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/lod/start, but it appears to be outdated.

Yes, the add-on has some tools for reducing mesh density, but these are generic tools which do not produce very good geometry. Hand-made low-poly meshes would presumably be better at preserving edge loops etc, which would be valuable. Though in practice it is usually not the character that is the big problem, but clothes and in particular hair. It does not help to reduce the character from 20 K verts to 4 K or even 1 K, if the hair mesh contains 200 K verts, which is not unusual.

The mesh is stuck because the transform channels are locked. The reason is that when the mesh has an armature, you don’t accidentally want to move the mesh. You can unlock the channels you want to move in the object context.

locks

1 Like

I see. In that case you could maybe check out this: https://www.daz3d.com/decimator-for-daz-studio

It’s a pretty simple but powerful decimator that creates LODs base on the parameter you set. Basically you set weights for every part of the figure, including hair and clothing, and it decimates based in a 100% or poly count. The higher the weight the more it will preserve the details.

So if DAZ Importer could read that LOD just like it reads the base subd, that would be awesome. Maybe it works differently from the default DAZ LODs in a way that you can work with?

Hey,
Great addon! A question:
Is there a way to batch convert the bone expressions/units into shapekeys (named accordingly)
I guess it is possible as manually I could make some shapekeys (by applying the armature modifier for each) , but there must be a better way.
Thanks!

I don’t know if there a built-in way to do this, but it was straightforward to write a small script which does what you just described, so I did this. The button is found in Advanced Setup > Morphs > Convert Morphs To Shapes.

1 Like

wow, thanks. I actually found a way to export them from daz. I did not find the expressions and visemes in daz though… are they there somehow or it’s made by the script from the face units?

edit: I tested it, works great .much faster than exporting from daz… and how much time I wasted finding a method to do it :). One thing I noticed: once you convert one category to shapekeys you can’t load other categories to the character, but it’s not a big deal, just have to load everything before start converting.

1 Like

After some testing on different characters I found that the shapekey converter is not 100% reliable, but it’s strange because the errors are different.
What always seems the case is that morphs which have L and R version get a third variant without R/L (I guess to operate on both side) but it’s never working. Also some morphs like cheekcrease, lipspucker-pressed, etc are not working.
Sometimes (rarely) however nothing or almost nothing works… or L-R and the one without R/L tag gets mixed up…
I tested it 10+ times, no idea what cause the problem…

I believe this may depend on the artist who originally made the character, and how much work they put into the final design.
Having both left or right and left/right simultaneously for various shapekeys is an option in Daz, some artist use it, some don’t.

I’m only assuming that the Blender conversion script adds the function regardless if the artist uses that shape key or not. The characters I’ve used, “lips pucker” works as a shape key adjustment, and so does the combo for left/right adjustments.
The later not working on all shapekeys, but most.

This was standard gen8 always with only the basic morphs. And sometimes the same export glitches doing exactly the same steps.

Only the first figure in my daz scene is being imported with textures. The duplicates (with only a few pose changes) are blank. Is that normal behavior?

Daz morphs work in different ways. Some properties drive the bones directly, often the L and R versions, and some drive other properties that in turn drive the bones. E.g., EyesClosedL and EyesClosedR drive the eyelid bones, but EyesClosed drive the EyesClosedL and EyesClosedR properties. Only the first type seem to yield non-trivial shapekeys. In the latest version, only non-trivial shapekeys are retained.

Another limitation is that only the standard Daz expressions are covered. Might change that some day.

Weird. When I import two identical G8F characters both have textures. They have different materials - e.g., the torso materials are called Torso-2 and Torso-3 - but the textures in these materials are the same. Perhaps you can upload your duf file so I can have a look.