DAZ Importer

How do I reassign each element to the new armature if I do that?
What are the steps?

I figured out what the problem is. In the newest version, there is a new button in the Advanced Setup > Rigging section labelled Update Rig For Version 1.5. It should do the trick.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip about manually loading UVs. I think I misunderstood the process in the blog post. I thought the final HD gens were supposed to import into Blender with both the Default UVs and the Dicktator UVs, but the gens were only importing with the Default UVs. Now that I understand that is the expected behavior, and the user is supposed to manually import the gens UVs, it makes more sense.

Thanks again for this major improvement to the addon! Being able to utilize HD figures - and better yet, being able to toggle the HD features on/off at will - is a HUGE advancement!

Are you talking about v1.5.0-20200918?

I donā€™t see ā€œUpdate Rig For Version 1.5ā€

No, Iā€™m talking about the development version, https://bitbucket.org/Diffeomorphic/import_daz/downloads/. The button was added yesterday.

The plug-in usually imports additional UVs, but for some reason it does not do this for dicktator. It depends on how the daz file is set up. Perhaps one is supposed to add UVs manually in DS for this asset.

Ok found it, thanks! May I request a confirmation dialog box when the operation is done? Because when I click on the button, nothing happens, as a user I donā€™t know whether it worked or not.
Cheers.

1 Like

Is there a morph to control the eyelids? (open/close) I couldnā€™t find any.

Blender tools usually donā€™t display a message box when they complete, so I think not. Although usually you can tell in some other way that the tool has completed.

Here what I have on my machine:

lids
However, Iā€™m not sure that these morphs are bundled with Daz Studio, or if you have to acquire them separately.

Oh my! I didnā€™t see the face units menu! My bad!
Eyelids are in there, thanks!

Iā€™ve also noticed that expressions seem to have some kind of factor to them, as if the morphs were stronger than they should be, leading to deformed faces.
I donā€™t know if thatā€™s related to my character being initially loaded with 1.4.
I tried using the function ā€œupdate morphs to version 1.5ā€ but it doesnā€™t work.

Hi Thomas, Iā€™m having issues with diffeo 1.5.1 and Gen 8 characters. Ctrl+J to join eyelashes to the main mesh, as explained in the documentation, results in the eyelashes not following the rest of the mesh when using expressions.

The eyelashes follow the eyes when closing eyes via bones exactly as they should. When using the standard Eye Close shapekey imported from Daz, the eyelashes stay in place. This was not an issue in an older Diffeo build although I forget exactly which version this was.

Hopefully itā€™s just me being stupid on my end but Iā€™ve reproduced this issue every time while following the directions on your blogspot.

Thanks!

No idea what is going on with Bitbucket but I canā€™t log in to my account to post this issue there.

When I import an HD mesh with geograft, the geograft seems to have some odd issues with a few vertices. The vertices fix themselves when the multires modifier is disabled. If I step down the viewport levels, they get better as they are closer to 0. Any idea what could be causing this issue?

I used the geometry editor method to export my HD meshes. Mesh is G8M and geograft is Dicktator. See below for a screenshot with the geograft selected. The yellow outline shows the vertices with the issues.

It is difficult to say what happened to old files. Morphs look good when I test with a new character, and I have used the update to 1.5 button successfully in the past, but there might be cases that I have not run into.

One thing to notice is that you need to clear face units, expressions and visemes separately to go back to a neutral face. That was something I missed last week.

Did you hide the armature? That may cause this problem, although I cannot reproduce it in the latest version.

The character in my blog post was G8M with dicktator, so I havenā€™t noticed anything unusual. What you can see is that the boundary of the geograft does not align perfectly with the base mesh, even if you disable multires. But the merge tool will pick the closest vertex on the boundary, which should be good enough in this case.
mismatch

EDIT: Thomas has discovered that this issue arises from a bug within Blender itself. He has submitted the bug report here: https://developer.blender.org/T81645

I am leaving this post here for reference. See below for more information:

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong but Iā€™m still getting the same issue, even with G3F and Futalicious.

Here is my HD character and Futalicious pre-merge geografts (exported using the geometry editor method outlined here):

And here is the character post-merge:

For this character the erroneous vertices are located near the rectum. Maybe I am skipping a step in the export process?

Hereā€™s what I do:

1. Load my character in Daz.
  2. Go to Tools > Geometry Editor.
  3. Select my character, go to the Mesh Resolution panel, change Resolution Level to High Resolution and increase the SubDivision Level to 3.
  4. Select the Futalicious Genitalia and do the same.
  5. Go to File > Export HD to Blender.
  6. Save the file as .duf with the same name as the .dbz
  7. Open Blender, use Import DAZ File (v1.5.1)
  8. Import using default settings (Unit Scale 0.01, Custom Shapes enabled, Mesh Fitting DBZ)
  9. Itā€™s at this point that I can notice the erroneous vertices. Itā€™s like they are missing weight painting or something? They are stretched to the origin of the body mesh.

Even after merging the geograft with the body mesh, the vertices seem to get worse. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong but I feel like I am so close to having it working.

I donā€™t get any ā€œCould not rebuild subdivisionsā€ errors. When I disable the multires modifier on the Futalicious mesh, the erroneous vertices go away and everything looks fine. I can get around this issue by using the base resolution genitalia mesh but I was hoping to be able to use the HD mesh since you were able to get it working.

Has anyone tried using the breast bones after converting to the MHX rig? What do you guys usually use? rigify, or MHX?
Also, im not sure, but could anyone show me how to pin bones in the MHX rig? Iā€™m trying to have my character move, while kneeling. But the knees move too much

Iā€™ve been away from using this addon for a bit, and it looks like there have been a number of great changes! However, the documentation at https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/p/daz-importer-version-15.html no longer seems to match the stable release of 1.5, but the latest build from bitbucket seems mildly broken in various ways (rigging rotation limits donā€™t seem to work at all, eliminate empties generates errors, and so on.)

Iā€™m sort of wary about using the 1.5 stable release, because the materials look significantly improved in the dev version, and also because it sounds like a huge bug in posing was recently fixed. (https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/2020/10/recent-problems-with-posing-and-how-to.html)

So I guess Iā€™m wondering if there is perhaps going to be a new stable release soon that I should wait on, or should I use the latest dev release? Any recommendations?

Edit: aha, figured out rotation limitsā€¦ they are disabled by default in the Global Settings, but toggling them on seems to work fine so far.

Edit 2: all the problems I mentioned above have now been fixed by Thomas in the latest dev commits. (for anyone else who likes living on the bleeding edge)