Dead of Night - Scary Animated Stories

This was the very first scary animated story that I uploaded to my channel. I recently re-uploaded it in HD and thought I would share it here too since I didn’t have an account with blenderartists at the initial time of release.

I’m already thinking of an interesting script for episode 4 and I’ll be posting updates, progress, and teasers on Twitter. If I require some critique for the next episode, I will start a WIP post here on the forum.

It wasn’t quite as scary as I thought it would be, but it did set the tone. I would have let the dark creature slowly creep behind the driver near the end instead of a pop up.

Hi XeroShadow,
Thanks for the feedback! I’ve definitely got a lot to learn about horror animation. I’m just starting out but I’m learning so much with every episode I create and eventually I would like to animate short horror stories submitted by my subscribers or perhaps even members of the blender community.

It takes quite a while to write the script, produce the narration, model the set, props and character, and then animate each take and I do my best to be as consistant as possible when it comes to my upload schedule so sometimes I end up having to leave things out.

There is actually a deleted scene from this episode that is pretty scary so I wil be sure to upload it as soon as I can.

My most recent episode “Nightmare at the Cinema” involved a far better workflow and I am developing the next episode with even more improvements.

Whata did you think of my other episodes?

So I took some time to watch episodes 2 and 3. I will have to say out of the current episodes so far, 2 was better than all of them. I won’t nick pick on all the details, but here are some things I would improve on. First and foremost is the walk cycle. I would like you to improve on that some more because it looks like it’s stomping a bit. It’s a common pit fall for people starting out to animate. The next thing you would need to improve on is the cinematography. On episode 3, after the 1:30 mark, you kind of miss a few opportunities on some close up shots. There’s one opportunity on 2:07 and on the 4:00 mark.

On that mark, I would have captured a close up shot of the guy revealing himself behind the curtain by having the guy grab the curtain first and then reveal himself in the shadows. You should have also changed the camera focus so it won’t look so blurry on the close up shot at the 4:28 mark.
For the final shot, I would have let the creepy blue guy rise up from behind the seat with his arms in the air getting ready to grab him again just as the camera cuts to abruptly cut to black.

You do have a lot of potential to improve and I empathize with you about your work flow. The only difference is I’m still working on mine and I’ve only been working on Episode 1 for over 9 years! It’s in the final stretch and I just need to get some animation done and a cast and I’m set. Anyway, I digress.
If you want to improve your horror chops, you will need to find some of the scariest movies you can find and take some notes on how to capture that sense of fear.

Keep at it.

Thanks so much for this. This is exactly what I need! I really appreciate that you took the time to watch the other episodes and provide time stamps. I will go over all of them and take notes.

Cinematography is one of the reasons I got into animations so it’s something I will be incorporating a lot more. I follow another channel called “Every Frame’s a Painting” and I found it so inspiring how much thought and precision goes into each shot. I learned a lot from that channel and I made plenty of notes on my Trello board but I’ve been more focused on developing my workflow.

I want to incorporate more things like dutch tilts and get more creative with the camera. I also love the idea of including more close ups. You’re absolutely right, I’m missing a lot of opportunities to get the viewer really up close.

Thanks again for your efforts.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion of that Youtube Channel. I’ll check it out as soon as I can.

That’s a tough one, especially if it’s horror specific. I would recommend producing your own art. Most cellphone cameras are pretty good these days so you can take photos and apply filters, color balance among other FX to achieve a nice creepy look.

You have to be cautious about using the stuff you find online because even if it claims to be copyright free or creative commons, you never really know where the original content came from. Someone might have snatched it from another artist and uploaded it to a website with a creative commons attribution.

I personally wouldn’t take the risk. You’re better off building your own library of assets that you can use again in other projects.

What are you developing exactly? Book, game, comic?