Debate: The Hurt Locker

I repent

Peace!

Attachments

This movie is hardly glorifying war. Fuck off with your paranoid bullshit.

So, War is good, War is fun… right?

None of the evidence you cited supports the claims that you make. I think that is due to the fact that you assume ‘drugs’ are good fun… right?

OK, I think I am in the twilight zone because when I read this statement:

“War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning”

I see something different

But you are probably right, I am paranoid and it is a good thing if you enlist or better yet be drafted…

Ask yourself this, after you saw the movie: “why am I so excited” am I using reason or is testosterone speaking for me…

I hope you can show me why I am wrong, and change my point of view

And It is a very good movie, very well done and effective

A must see

"…The film draws a sharp contrast between the tedium of American life, with its grocery-shopping, home repairs, and vapid consumerism, and the heart-pounding drama of the combat zone in Iraq. The fact that the war itself seems to have little point fades into the background. For all the graphic violence, bloody explosions and, literally, human butchery that is shown in the film, The Hurt Locker is one of the most effective recruiting vehicles for the U.S. Army that I have seen. "

You people are so gullible…

Good point!

Regardless of what is spun, there will always be people who want to go to war. It’s an unfortunate aspect of us humans.

Personally I thought the film was quite good as far as entertainment goes, I didn’t take away any emotions or ideology’s away from it though. I was just entertained for 90 or so minutes.

[QUOTE]“War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning”

That doesn’t mean it is “good fun”. Many things give us meaning, and only about half of them could be considered wholesome.

As far as I can tell, your jumping from quote to conclusion without a bridge in between–not to mention the fact that you are making many character judgements on the few people who’ve commented (and those who watched the movie) by calling us “gullible”. Of what reason or logic do you call us gullible? In fact, the only evidence you have in calling anyone “gullible” is that we enjoyed the movie.

You enjoyed the movie, as well; therefore, you must be as gullible as the rest of us.

This counts as a political statement, which are not allowed here. Let’s try to be nice to each other, okay, folks?

Is it any different from the many other war movies out there? I think those movies really communicate that being in the military is a tough job where you don’t know if you will ever see your family again and communicate the reality of what can happen in the effort to fight for various reasons we in this country take for granted.

The gore and such is why I don’t watch those movies, but I can tell that many have a riveting pace where you must watch the whole movie to see what happens.

No flaming or political statements here, just my 2 cents since PlantPerson didn’t lock the thread.

This counts as a political statement, which are not allowed here. Let’s try to be nice to each other, okay, folks?

Yes I am sorry that was idiotic and biased

As far as I can tell, your jumping from quote to conclusion without a bridge in between–not to mention the fact that you are making many character judgements on the few people who’ve commented (and those who watched the movie) by calling us “gullible”. Of what reason or logic do you call us gullible? In fact, the only evidence you have in calling anyone “gullible” is that we enjoyed the movie.

I will see it again (I enjoyed it too), the only point I want to convey is that it is necessary to analyse how we feel after seeing a movie (not just this one) and why.

And in general I am sorry (its Monday and I feel like crap and in a psychotic mood).

I can’t help it, there is this phrase in my mind : “Ignorance is bliss”

I worry too much

LOL! If I keep on this path tomorrow I will be wearing a robe and be standing in a downtown corner with a sign:

“REPENT! THE END IS NEAR”

A long white beard is mandatory though…

War is a part of human nature. We are too many and there are too many stupid people on this planet, including myself and all of you here. It’s what we as advanced organisms do to each other. We try to beat each other…when all the countries but one is left that country will evolve into something new.

There are two ways to achive this. Joining together in unions EU, UN etc…or it can be done by war. The question is which we will choose? There are many MANY stupid people in this world…and personally I don’t give a damn what people do to each other.

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

I’m one of the good men, and I don’t give a damn. Does that mean we will nuke ourself?

What makes it stupid is that you imply that this movie was constructed in a way to make you feel like you want to join the army, while it was created to entertain. You also imply that there is a huge propoganda machine that appearantly makes these movies.

I like your avatar, reminds me of a guy in my school that walks funny :cool:

]

War is a part of human nature

War is too specific–conflict is a better word. In the simplest of terms, books, movies, videogames, (or any storytelling medium) would not be interesting without a conflict.

There are two ways to achive this. Joining together in unions EU, UN etc…or it can be done by war. The question is which we will choose? There are many MANY stupid people in this world…and personally I don’t give a damn what people do to each other.

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

I’m one of the good men, and I don’t give a damn. Does that mean we will nuke ourself?

Um… you do realize that your quote undermines your entire argument? Or, are you just negating the point? I’m confused as to what point your trying to make here.

LOL! If I keep on this path tomorrow I will be wearing a robe and be standing in a downtown corner with a sign:

“REPENT! THE END IS NEAR”

A long white beard is mandatory though…

No need to make fun. Now that you’ve explained yourself, I can let you live. :wink: Just try to give the films you are watching the benefit of the doubt. I know that when my father starts getting presumptuous about a move (“oh, this is propaganda for environmentalism”), it bothers everyone watching the movie.

Are you saying that the only thing that stops you from replying to every thread is if I lock them? …I always kind of suspected that, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Such is the price of freedom. Freedom to join the army, or simply freedom to post in this forum with fear of retribution. And then there are those who are just “gung-ho” to the max, and the army releases this attibute. No individual should take their trend from any faceless corporation or organisation. Dream on!

Actually never heard of it until the oscar nominations. Is it even possible to watch the movie in Europe? :confused: