DECALmachine

Depending on the decal, you need to be wary of dropping the resolution too much. For small details it’s ok, such as this, but for larger or more detailed decals, it’s better to just go large, make a lot of difference to artificating.

Thank You colkai for the information, I’ll keep it in mind.
Because I’m still learning DecalMachine, I still have a question.(maybe a stupid question)
Is it normal that a self-made decal shows distortion in user orthographic ?
In user perspective everything is normal.

User perspective

User ortographic

Thats normal.

Orthographic Views and Cameras

The parallax effect will not work properly in an orthographic viewport.
However, you can still render it perfectly, when using an orthographic camera.

1 Like

Hi, I’m baking with version 2.9 and it’s flickering, I’m wondering if I didn’t set it properly.

你好,我在使用2.9版本进行烘焙的时候闪退了,我想问问是不是我没有设置好

Please clarify, with images/video, and report it properly, see https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/faq/#get-support

Thanks for this addon! Bought it a long time ago but was only recently made aware that the current version now also supports non-floating decals. I’ve been creating a decal atlas/trim sheet for our UE4 projects in Substance Designer and applied these by hand in Blender.

I’ve tried usind DECALmachine for this job instead and it does what I want it to do except one thing: I’d like to put the Decal UVs on the 3rd UV channel. 1st channel is for seamless textures and the 2nd for lightmaps. But upon applying a decal, the tool just switches to the first channel and puts the decal UVs there instead of where I need them. Is there any way to prevent this behavior? I’ve watched the videos, read through the documentation and checked the settings but couldn’t find a hint.

DECALmachine uses the first channel for trim details, and the second for tiling detail.
I’ll look into exposing this for 2.1

3 Likes

That would be great! I just tried commenting out the line that switches the channel. This requires adjusting the materials to see the trims in the viewport again but it works for me.

Being able to specify which channel to use for trims (compared to just using the active channel) would also be a good way to prevent the user from using the wrong channel by accident. Happens to me from time to time because working with different channels on multiple objects can sometimes be a bit tricky in Blender.

2 Likes

Hello
I’m just starting to learn this tool and I have a question.
DecalExport’s Bake doesn’t output a file in the color channel only.
I don’t know why, as the other channels are fine.

blender 2.839
decalmachine2.01

DECALmachine bakes decal textures. Only info decals have color maps, as explained in tooltips and docs.

1 Like

Color Maps for “other” decals would be nice to have!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, MACHIN3.
So if you want to output a so-called color map, you need to use the normal function.
Okay, I see.

MRRadioactiv That would be useful.

Yes, if you want to bake object color, which is what this is, you need to do it using Blender’s native tools.

I tried it and it work, but a fix integrated solution for your great addon would be really cool!

And I also have a color problem. When I want to match the color of the decal with the color of the object this is still a big difference. The color of the object is “Alu”.
Is there an explanation for this or am I doing something wrong ?
Maybe there is information about this somewhere but I can’t find it.

See https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/faq/#get-support

v2.1 is out! | https://decal.machin3.io - Gumroad, Blendermarket, Documentation

Please see what’s new, including the suggested update path: https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/whatsnew/

Changelog

• Decal Assets update to 2.1
    • add emission strength input for decal and trim sheet node groups (including for Blender 2.83 and 2.90)
    • replace Texture Coordinates(UV) node with UVMap node in all parallax node trees
    • add Update20DecalLibrary tool
      • update 2.0.x decal and trim sheet libraries libraries to 2.1
    • update Update18DecalLibrary tool
      • update 1.8-1.9.4 decal libraries to 2.1
    • add BatchUpdate tool
      • update all 1.8-1.9.4 or 2.0.x legacy decal or trim sheet libraries in the assets path in one go
      • directly from the addon prefs, or from the update panel
    • support importing 1.8-1.9.4 or 2.0.x legacy decal or trim sheet libraries
    • add Update20BlendFile tool
      • update blend files containing 2.0.x decals and trim Sheet materials to 2.1
    • update Update18BlendFile tool
      • update blend files containing 1.8 - 1.9.4 decals to 2.1
    • update Decal Example resources to use the new 2.1 decals
    • update Validate tool for legacy decal detection from a 2.1 perspective
    • improve process of assets path change, including renaming the legacy MyDecals library
  • expose trim uv layer (Trim Unwrap) and secondary uv layer (Box Unwrap) to addon preferences
  • explicitly use ‘Atlas UVs’ UV layer for atlased decals
  • adapt to 2.91 API changes
  • prevent crash when undoing after adding a decal to a scene from the asset loaders
  • prevent potential high resolution bake issues due to default PIL.Image.MAX_IMAGE_SIZE being too small
  • prevent importing Atlases as Decal/Trim Sheet libraries
  • fix noise in Example Sheet’s normal map, causing minor distortions on highly reflective trim sheet materials
  • remove Update14DecalLibrary tool
  • clarify license
11 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the update! However DECALmachine doesn’t seem to recognize my Trim Sheet from 2.01 (and 2.90, I’m on 2.91 now). The path is still the same and set in the settings. I tried updating the Trim Sheet Library via the update panel but setting the path there doesn’t seem to work. It’s as if the directory was empty. There’s no batch update button as well.

edit: since it is just one single Trim Sheet so far, I just tried re-saving it. After hitting Create Trim Sheet Library and accepting to replace the existing Sheet, I get this:

Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\bassig\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.91\scripts\addons\DECALmachine\operators\trimsheet.py", line 826, in execute
    reload_trim_libraries(library=sheet.DM.trimsheetname)
  File "C:\Users\bassig\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.91\scripts\addons\DECALmachine\utils\registration.py", line 609, in reload_trim_libraries
    unregister_trims(library=library)
  File "C:\Users\bassig\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.91\scripts\addons\DECALmachine\utils\registration.py", line 557, in unregister_trims
    trimlibs = [(library, 'trim sheet', [col for libname, libtype, col in trim_libraries if libname == library][0])]
IndexError: list index out of range

edit2:
However, after having done this, my Trim Sheet is listed in the settings and seems to work again…