DeepBlur: Plugin for Post Process Depth of Field

Is there a script that links all the objects to a shader? it would be really a pain to do it manually.

Because this plugin is designed as a postprocess on 2 images, it does not understand distance in the same way that blender does. Rather, the focal point is based on a greyscale value, not a distance. The greyscale value that is in focus is the focal point * 255.

I’d like to see some of your results. It is an interesting idea. I will look at the code and see what I can do. It might just be a matter of changing the slider (I think that is all it is). Since I didn’t write the blurring code, I’m not to sure how it works.

The original zblur plugin blurred the greyscale image that was generated from the zbuffer. I realize at the time that the zbuffer wasn’t antialiased and I removed those lines of code. Now that I know, perhaps I’ll put them back. I don’t see a noticable difference though.

Actually you don’t even need a script! Here’s what you do:
1.) Apply the material to 1 object.
2.) Select all the objects that you want to apply the material to. Select the object that already has the material last.
3.) Bring up the space bar menu > object > make links… > materials
(the hotkey for make links is ctrl-L)

I just learned that trick the other day. It is sooo handy :smiley:

Thanks for Ctrl+L info.

About the Jagged lines in z buffer. When I use it to the zblur or focus blur in gimp I want it to have the highest quality. I think (maybe I´m wrong) that it would produce better looking Depth of Field.

Well I´ve compared the zblur and focus blur. As you can see that zblur has strange blur. Its blurry and sharp in the same time. While the focusblur in gimp seems to be more correct.

Mayas internal render for DoF has the same limitation as Zblur.

http://tinypic.com/ilal4g.jpg

This whip was made for the WC challenge but the DoF techniques took all my spare time.

Any news about this great plugin? Maybe you can add reading zbuffer from OpenEXR files? This can be very helpfull.

grzybu, it looks like the postprocessing stuff in blender is about to undergo some pretty big changes (due to OpenEXR support, render recode, etc). I think it would be prudent for me to wait till thats done before doing any more coding on this project. My hope is that we get some good DOF features built in to blender, and then this plugin will be obsolete.

Just tried this plugin out after reading about it in the Z-utils thread. I have to say it’s brilliant. I’m sure Blender will soon have a DOF button, but this isn’t much harder to use than that. :slight_smile:

Thanks Sketchy! Gonna go play with it some more.

How do you get the greyscale uot put to OSa anti alias??

I need to use the output image in another image editing program as a movie and just bluring it is not good since that adds a halo around my moving image…

Yeah I know this is old

I registered just to say thanks, great plugin, I found it very useful. :slight_smile:

Hi,
could it become a node for blender’s image compositing? Thanks!