deformation of a sphere about a cylinder?

Is there a tool in Blender that would allow for a sphere to deform so that it appears to wrap around a cylinder?

you can try the cast modifier. Set the Cast Type to Cylinder & factor to 1

thank you for the reply.
I am experimented with the cast modifier some more.
I am wondering if there is some tool in Blender that is not limited to the three options presented by the cast modifier.
I am unsure of the workflow and procedures necessary to deform a mesh according to the topology of another mesh similar to how the cast modifier operates.
For instance a subdivided plane deformed by an odd shaped sphere where it appears as though the sphere displaces some portion of the plane, like a crater impact.
I am struggling at this point to learn more Blender modeling techniques and I am thinking that a particle system or some type of animation involving two meshes and a collision is what I might be looking for…
maybe a lattice or hook modifier is what I need, but I am trying to stay away from a Boolean operation.

For instance a subdivided plane deformed by an odd shaped sphere where it appears as though the sphere displaces some portion of the plane, like a crater impact.

Reading this I’d say you want to try the Shrinkwrap modifier. Try it on the subdivided plane, set the Mode to Project and set the Direction to Negative. The target could be any object on top of the plane.

I’d also advise to look into Dynamic Paint; this enables you to ‘paint’ a displacement using any object

wow thank you, the ShrinkWrap modifier does work well on the plane.
I am trying to control it on different meshes with the desired results of displacement.
Dynamic Paint is new to me.
I will read up on it.
In my experimentation I created a subdivided cube and turned it into cloth then added a 2.5x size torus around it then ran an animation with the torus as a collision object that went from it’s size of 2.5x to .5x and the cube did deform as expected, maybe I will post a render of it but it took about an hour to bake…
I will continue to experiment with the ShrinkWrap modifier tonight, also.
thank you.

I am pretty sure, almost certain, that Dynamic Paint is the solution.
I did notice some odd behavior though when I used a torus to deform a cube.