Delete Selected?

Well, it finally happened. I got laid off today. I think I’ve mentioned before that the company I work for has been in financial trouble for quite a while. The irony is that I’ve been with the company longer than anybody else, and I’m going to be the first to go.

It’s the right business choice, because it doesn’t do the company any good to have a full time marketing/design department if you don’t have any workers to do the work the marketing department attracts. But it still sort of sucks.

I’m a bit bummed, but trying to be optimistic. It could end up being the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I’ve got a couple of leads for freelance work, so hopefully, we won’t starve or anything.

Ultimately, I’ve got a couple of pieces of artwork in my portfolio that I wouldn’t have had were it not for the help of many of you offering information, tutorials, and your coding genius.

Sorry this is so long. I’m just trying to sort things out in my mind, you know?

Anyways, thanks.

you never know the value of a life changing situation until reflecting apon it in the future.

i hope that this situation leaves you looking back and saying “that was the best thing that ever happend to me.”

GO GET THAT MONEY!!!

I’ve got a couple of leads for freelance work, so hopefully, we won’t starve or anything.

Even if you don’t get the freelance work you still shouldn’t starve. You’re making it sound like it’s either that or nothing. You’re not too good to work at a McDonald’s or Hardees. No one is. I’m not saying to go there now, but if things don’t work out it’s better than letting your family go on the streets hungry just because you think fast food work is beneath you.

By the way, I may have misread you. I’m not talking to you specifically. I’m talking to everyone I’ve heard say something like “I’m not going to McDonald’s. I’m better than that” when they’re flat broke and living off of others.

And also, I’m sorry to hear about your misfortune. Just remember that nothing is beneath anyone, with the exceptions of begging out on the streets and diving in open sewers to find lost valuables.

Some beggers actually make quite a bit of money. I understand that working fastfood is not below anyone. But I think the point is different. The fact is, if you can do something, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t. Anything is possible. If someone is properly skilled, and they are not making any money off of freelance work, then the fault probably lies in the advertising/marketing if there is any. This is my problem right now, but I’m am trying to work on it. For instance, I’m am going to be making up a flyer, then every week, mail it to 10 different local businesses. Not much, but it’s a start. To work fastfood if necessary is fine, but to many people, it says they couldn’t cut it. There is two ways to do something you love, either do it, or don’t.

I didn’t mean to give the impression that I would take freelance or starve. I’ve worked a number of jobs through the years (ironically, one job I had about ten years agao even had me working in active sewer lines, chipping excess cement from the inside of the sewer pipes) so I’m definitely not too proud to do fast food.

Honest work is honest work, whether it’s glamorous or not.

I would prefer to work in my chosen field, however. My point in the post was that I have some opportunities available to me, so it wasn’t the end of the world that I lost my position, it was just a lousy thing that happened.

that I have some opportunities available to me

On a bad day, I wait for opportunity

On a good day, I seize opportunity

Good luck on your freelance. I hope all goes well for you :wink:

thanks! I actually got my first bit of work today.
It’s a flyer for a company that will likely need more flyers in the future.

While it won’t pay all the bills for this month, it’s definitely a start, since the flyer will be going to potential clients for me.

Things are looking up already!

To work fastfood if necessary is fine, but to many people, it says they couldn’t cut it. There is two ways to do something you love, either do it, or don’t.

Not too sure how to interperate that. It sounds like you’re saying that some people see fast food as an admission of failure instead of something to pay the bills. It’s not wise to remain unemployed while looking for a job that is difficult to get. It is possible to get into a job while working a blue collar job.

I’ll share a personal experience with you. I lost my job at McDonald’s. I took almost a year off trying to start a video game company, and I went through the almost $3,000 I had saved up. Had I been smart I would have found a job as soon as possible and worked on the business in my downtime. Making and selling video games is one of my dreams, but it’s possible, and even necessary to maintain another form of employment until it becomes stable enough to become your sole means of support.

But your case is totally different. Your talking about a startup, that would involve development of a product that you would offer. That would definitely require some support structure. But to render a service immediately or with short turn around, is a much differnt issue. There is a bunch of small business that need computer work and graphic work done, especially for advertising purposes. Most of these needs are ongoing and just needs someone to offer it, at a decent price, and to sell them on it.

So in the case of a consultant or a freelance graphics artists, you will get work if you go out and get it, and you might maybe get some if you just work fastfood and tell everyone how good a graphics artist you are. Basically what it comes down to, is there is freelancers out there right now who’s not working fastfood. So one must decide, are you going to serve your competitor his cheeseburger and hope his clients get fed up and show up at your doorstep? Or are you going to get a kick-ass portfolio together, and go and get them?

To interpret what I mean read my above post:

On a bad day, I wait for opportunity

On a good day, I seize opportunity