Delete social media as an digital artist

Hi blender community, im been 3d artist for almost 10years and my sharing art usually on social media like facebook, instagram. Recent months i having really bad depression and anxiety and reading about delete social media by cal newport from the book called deep work.

Have anyone here have no social media, how you guys handle sharing art, business and other without social media.

Also – be aware that “depression” just might be a clinical disease, and it can in fact be caused by all sorts of things. (I once knew a person who was allergic to broccoli, and it has profound mental(!) effects on him. Go figger …) Nutritional deficiencies and other dietary issues can also be a cause. (A good mental health practitioner will explore these possibilities thoroughly first. Don’t assume that treatment means “zombie drugs.”)

Mental illlnesses can be very insidious, since by their nature they interfere with their own treatment: “you’re on the inside looking out, and so is the disease.” Your brain is a fantastically complex electrochemical contraption, ruled by potent chemicals measured in micrograms, and it can play nasty tricks on you – causing needless suffering (or, inconvenience …) simply because you didn’t know to consider that angle.

Maybe you are simply “in a bad mood” and everything’s just fine, but, “forewarned is forearmed.” Knowledge is Power. “Am I, in fact, right now, ‘thinking clearly?’”

P.S.: Yes, I have volunteered for many hours on suicide prevention hotlines … it is an indescribable experience, which I won’t describe here.

2 Likes

Even if you delete your account your works might live on if people have downloaded them or sharing them.

Another aspect by studying brain books, is that I have learnt, that you can consider that a person’s brain evolves in stages. A brain of an infant is constantly absorbing information and setting up the initial wiring. Another case is that a brain of a kid by the age of 13 starts a huge transformation into becoming a teen. Then the “teen spirit” is retained up until the 25-28+ and by 30-40+ the senior personality traits start to kick in, and so goes on.

Intuitively all people consider that “brain ageing” is a linear process, where each year adds up one xp point. However is not like this. When the next stage I mentioned earlier kicks in, the brain goes into a full-scale-rewiring rather than simply add one xp point.

Perhaps we all have heard of the “rebelious teen” phase, or the “mid life crisis” everybody talks about. This is a classic case of “full-scale-rewiring” rather than simply people who do associate a mental state with a “twitter hashtag”. Perhaps full-scale rewiring happens due to life turning events but for the most part is due to genetic-cell-timing.

This rewrite I talk about is not pretty and is not good but it happens. As part of life, all we can do is to consider it as something that is normal in a sense that it will not hinder or block our progress. Perhaps we can go through such phases, and consider that for a few weeks days we might feel crap, for a few other days we might feel energetic and fun. Everything is in.

P.S. About books on the brain there are lots of them. I have read from “Andrew Hunt: Pragmatic Learning and Thinking”, Ray Kurtzweil goes into a more cybernetic turn because he is a technologist, “Richard Dawkins: Selfish Gene”, “Robert Greene: Mastery”… Still many more books left to go.

1 Like

Speaking directly to the sharing issue – there are of course a number of sites, Dropbox being among the most well-known, that allow you to share files.

I don’t use social media at all: I have no Facebook account, have never “tweeted,” and so on. It is not “necessary” to waste time with these things at all … and that’s exactly what I consider them to be: a tremendous waste of time.

1 Like

i hate social media. i don’t use any and i am doing just fine. life is possible without, you know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently read Cal Newport’s other book Digital Minimalism after seeing his TED Talk and I’ve cut way down on my social media usage. There is plenty of evidence social media is not a healthy way to interact with others, as it takes up a lot of time but doesn’t replace real connection. If you’re an artist that’s suffering from depression, I’d encourage you to step away for the most part. I don’t mind forums as much and I still use artstation, but it’s a resource reference instead of something to just browse.

I hope you get through whatever is going on, best of luck to you!

2 Likes

Now, plinking away on BA Forums? Now, that’s different! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for reply, i been off about social a week now, been good. i think about how able to show case my artwork without social media.

1 Like

yes, i think a forum like this one is different to facebook & co even if forum software recently seems to get more and more features i don’t like. :slight_smile:

I was an active social media aficionado for years. Being a former news cartoonist, social media allowed me to keep joking about current affairs and other things, and to promote my work as well.

I had 5000 Facebook ‘friends’, which is the maximum amount an non-VIP can have at Facebook. I spent around a few hours a day on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Gradually I realized that social media was causing unwanted emotions to arise. For example, I started to dislike people I know in real life just because they never liked my posts or never replied to them. I also got more and more tired of all the boring chatter and pathetic attention addiction (including my own).

If you’re prone to depression and/or anxiety, social media can mess with your mood if you spend a lot of time there. It’s good to be aware and stay aware of that.

Personally, I’ve (fully) deleted my Facebook and Instagram accounts. I already didn’t use Whatsapp, so I’ve completely banned the Zuckerberg data empire from my digital life. I’ve kept my Twitter account because I follow a lot of Blenderheads and other interests of mine there.

Finally, as others have already mentioned, Blender Artists is a pleasant communication platform, because it brings people with the same interest together, allows us to gain new knowledge and help other Blender users.

1 Like

I think social media from today and in the future, there will be more and more AI false users , and there will be more and more media content built by AI , even digital art, and it will be more and more difficult to tell which content is produced by human, which content is produced by AI, just be used to it.

1 Like

Yep, that’s another growing issue. :neutral_face:

Keep in mind, bashing on social media is in fashion. If you have mental problems, cutting out social media probably isn’t going to fix them.

Also, “deep work” isn’t about cutting out social media, it’s about cutting out distractions - social media being just one of them.

Having said that, here’s my take on social media:

Most people use social media to display a better life than they actually live to people that don’t actually care - but do it likewise. At best, this is a waste of time, at worst it causes people who feel like they don’t “measure up” to feel bad.

For artists and other professionals, it’s all a bit different. A social media presence can be valuable. Just treat it like another portfolio platform: Cut out the bullshit, post stuff that is interesting. Don’t post your food, your pets or your WIPs (unless you’re explaining a workflow).

I also believe you should be separating personal from professional. If you personal presence is not part of your actual social life, just delete it.

Deep Work may not be about cutting out social media, but Newport’s other book Digital Minimalism is exactly about that, and worth a read.

I agree with you generally about users trying to convey a better life than they lead on social media. I also agree getting off social media won’t completely fix mental health issues. But I think deleting it would go a long way to helping someone who does have them.

Social media is designed to addict you to it, and like you said, make others who feel they don’t “measure up” to feel bad (and thus attempt to make their own life look better by giving whatever platform they’re on more content). I think this is the important point, as shame tends to play a large part in mental health.

Good point about separating personal and professional too. The only thing I’ve ever found of use on social media is finding artists to follow, though even that results in time wasted.

Social media is a shrewd application of crowd psychology. You perceive that you are part of a very large crowd of people who actually know who you are and who think just like you do. But this is actually false. Social media interactions serve to inflame ordinary social reactions and this phenomenon can be and is used for mass manipulation. It is also an egregious waste of time.

I regularly participate on forums and in forum sections – such as this one – which are of professional interest to me, and I try to give-back information in appreciation for the vast amount of information that I have learned from places like this. These interactions, as long as they “stay on-point,” are of pragmatic benefit to me and that’s why I do it.

This is also why I’ve never Facebooked, or Tweeted, or anything else. And why I never, ever will.

P.S.: There’s no television in my house. There hasn’t been for more than thirty years. But there are bookshelves on virtually every wall.

2 Likes

Hi, I don’t have any account or any social media -except LinkedIn…
I have portfolio on cloud services.
When somebody on LinkedIn ask my for some interview etc, and I`m interest -then is time for me to share my work…

1 Like

so far i only active on whatsap (family and friends only).Maybe someday if i have my own studios i would create a twitter account #damnFlinstoneLife

1 Like

1 Like