"Demonic Ink" - Tutorial [UPDATED]

Hey guys,

I’ve been playing around with Blender’s Dynamic Paint and came up with a cool effect I like to refer to as “Demonic Ink.”
In keeping with the Halloween theme, here’s a preview for an upcoming video tutorial on the effect:

(P.S. See if you can spot the skull!)

Pretty neat. Reminds me a bit of the titles for Sherlock Holmes.

Steve S

Pretty neat. Reminds me a bit of the titles for Sherlock Holmes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfTT1gNY6s

Oh yeah. I love that effect! I haven’t really seen ink spreading looking very realistic in youtube. They’re mostly done with after effects and masks. Thought I’d use some special features in blender to see if I could get closer to a physically-based method.

this is brilliant :smiley:
hey i was wondering, would you have any idea of how to create a scene where an entire landscape of white turns into darkness from a single point in an outwards tendral effect using dynamic paint or shrinkwrap??

Hmmm. That’s interesting. I suppose you could attack it from several angles. I mean, you could create curve splines and animate them moving overtop your surface as the paintbrush element. Then on top of that, have dynamic paint using the “spread” option so that it exaggerates the effect. The only issue with Dynamic Paint is resolution. It has to be UV unwrapped and things can get pretty slow after around 2048 pixels square (the size for baking your Dynamic Paint onto your canvas).

Otherwise, you could use masks in 2D to animate over the landscape, transitioning between the white version and the dark version. You could use the projection mapping modifier and project from the top view an animation of the tentacle masks slowly moving outwards.

Hope this helps! :wink:

That looks amazing, can’t wait for the tutorial!

Thanks Januz, and thanks everybody for waiting patiently. I can’t tell you how much of a struggle this was to try and get this rendered out with reasonable quality. Also, the sound and video in the last section are somewhat out of sync, but hopefully you get the gist :wink:

You can check out my blog to download the paper texture or see more info on the creation of the effect.

Cheers!