Denoising video with Blender blues

I feel your pain! Mine was shot between ISO 1600-3200. At first I thought it was useless but Avidemux did a great job. I got pretty decent results with the compositor too -though admittedly not as good. If you downscale to a lower resolution (say HD) its not perfect but fairly close.

Btw, I got my new f1.8 lens and I’ve been stunned. Combined with Magic Lantern, I’m able to produce almost noiseless shots even at ISO 400! Not to mention the fact that shooting with an ISO 600 in dim light practically feels like shooting at ISO 100 in daylight, morning/afternoon. Just wow. Guess I will become a believer!

Ok please give it a go when you have the time and tell me how it works for your footage. We might be able to come up with some decent node-based generic solution for denoising.

I was kind of hopping that other oldtimers & compositing gurus of this forum would also give feedback! :frowning:

A median filter should become a priority in the compositor. I guess they might need one for Mango -esp if they do sloppy shooting.
Oh yeah, and a Shake-like expression function without getting inputs from sockets would be quite handy.

Here is max moise max light from ML on my 550D. But vimeo compression killed the noise and made it weird.

Yep, that’s way too much noise to be usable. Which iso level did you use?

This is a really interesting thread. I’ve been scratching my head for a long time, trying to figure a way of doing this with some low light and noisy GH1 footage in the compositor. No luck. In the end I’ve resorted to what was suggested earlier and that is, render out a sequence for batch noise removal outside of Blender. NR noodles are a bit of an enigma :slight_smile:

ISO (6400 +6EV) [email protected] (409600*4) = 1,638,400
Thats the magic of Magic Lantern!

So lots of gain plus long exposure @4fps equals 1 and a half million ISO! Not sure it’s usefull but it sure is noisy.

@3point:
1,5 mil ISO!!!
Wow, Magic Lantern truly rocks!

@AdrianF:
my recent tests were more successful than the first crude ones so maybe there is hope. It still requires some experimentation. Avidemux removed lots of noise but it also had a negative impact on the number of picture colors.

쒻낣곕ﯗ杻��醙훁쯆뒡ꌍડꆡꆾ췔�뇍믈믒믉料�곈�쒴얱믖�쒹�곒믖�ﯮힵ쒽﯎삾ﲽꮵ쿋陸킵쓈쯍엍얰ﳎꟆ뒡ꌍડꆡꇋ陸킵쓈쮶볊쟒뮾ꪣ곇냒믃마죄횷잷늵쒴쿑믈룎�念곃믈쯖ꪵ삵붵ힷꋉ贈쯊닃듊슡ꌍડꆡꆻ쫉쾵쓃볍럒믖곁돉쿃믓탌ꮶ쒱겴폈�쒿듗억습뚽ꎳ쪵쒽﯎삾ﲡꌍડꆡꇌꯗ폖ﻧ쒰뢶了좵삣몡내ꢣ계쟕쟒ꪸ짊닃뒣뾡넍ડꆡꆻ냒듂곒뮰톸횵뚶�맔�﮵쒲놾뇉쾡ꏃ퓗언횵뚣곖ﻂ뮸쓉ꮣ겴붽얿듗엪짍ﻪ즡ꌍડꆡꇃ퓗엍믈뒵쒸쒱곖ﻪ짒삾즲뮽믂ﶵ쒺죗얾욣곖놵뷖ﻂ﯍뛀듑꿎쪵쓄뾹곋﮲엣곣겵쒷엏슾욱궡ꌍડꆡꆡ내짂쏕훑�듗엎튰ꆣ뾡넍ડꆡꆡ냄쟃ꪹ쫎쪡ꎽ﯎삾ﳒ믖뇓진돁겷ꋉ贈쯕例쓊슣계뮾쏓ꚸ쎸視뢻쪽췒믏싂뾡뇖ﻂꣁ쯑�쾵쒽﯎삾ﲲ뮹ﷇ뢰�ꌍડꆡꆡ낺�곊습뷈맓탊닃뒺쎽춵쒣겴튲믊잶벿뒵뷁쯂뾡넍ડꆡꆡ낾췆뻄뢰�닏뒣겼뇊잳허쯋뗃캡ꎡ뇌ꯗ폀了좵삣곋뾺쇃믓킽ꯋ﮷엔�ꌍડꆡꆡ내믌ﶹﶣ곐닌폒퓁뒡ꏈ틌쿋陸킵쓖��볔�겻맓킸뢻쫕�쾣곓탋궸틇�꾡ꎵ맓탎틈ﷇꞽ﯎삾ﳒ톾궽ꯕ�엍엎ꟗꆣ곒�,青岛女士上班第一天就中奖

Yes, I couldn’t get anything reasonable from the bilateral blur node either. Docs say on thing operation says another :frowning:

I’m bumping this thread cos I got a pm from a fellow blenderhead asking me if I had managed to denoise video with the compositor.
Unfortunately, the pm ended in my spam mail folder and I only got to read it today! :frowning: I’m terribly sorry about that.

Now, after trying many different things I gave up. Maybe it’s doable, maybe it isn’t. In theory, it should be possible. In practice, I don’t really know how.
I ended up using avidemux as a substitute and it worked reasonably well. I denoised the video and proceeded with editing it in Blender. Needless to say that I would have loved to denoise it in Blender.

I also accidentally discovered this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nb295QEW5U&feature=channel&list=UL tutorial by Peter Drakullic. While on the surface it appears to be unrelated to denoising, I have the feeling that this might actually work in practice. I should say that I haven’t really tested the technique on the same video.

If any of you guys know of any denoising tricks please share.

Once again, my apologies to @galingong for this delayed response.