Deselect by Clicking in Blank Area

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but…

In other apps I’m used to being able to LMB click in a blank area of the 3D View to deselect all. Anyone know of a way to do this in Blender. I tried under User Pref/Input, but all I can do is toggle between select/deselect all with LMB.

Personally, the only thing that really bugs me about blender is the continual need to use the keyboard rather than being able to solely use the mouse. When I’m on my laptop, lying back in my easy chair, it’s a pain to have to continually and awkwardly reach for the keyboard…

When I’m on my laptop, lying back in my easy chair, it’s a pain to have to continually and awkwardly reach for the keyboard…
Maybe you should enable the ‘Rub Feet’ and ‘Pour me a Drink’ addons.

Blender is designed specifically to be keyboard shortcut heavy, if you don’t use it that way you’re wasting a lot of its efficiency.

So I take it you don’t think software should be configurable to allow for user preferences?

There are a huge number of preferences you can enable in blender.

Have you tried the Maya preset ?

Yup, but that doesn’t do it. I’m real close with setting the user preferences/input, but like I said it toggles select/deselect all instead of selecting what you click on then deselecting it.