Desktop Build...

Hello community,
About a month ago I asked about buying a computer that would suit my needs [i.e. Blender being one of them :eyebrowlift: .] After learning that it was indeed cheaper to build my own, I decided the go in that direction. I first started off with (quite) limited amounts of hardware knowledge, I still want your opinions on the parts I’m looking at and to see if they are compatible. I’ve decided to buy the hardware this week and the next. Also as a note, this build is based on NVIDIA’s “mid-range monster” in one of their guides.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400K Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz $189.99*

GPU: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC Geforce GTX 560 Ti$219.99

PSU: Silverstone Strider Essentials Series 700 watt $69.99

RAM: (I haven’t picked any out… to me, for the most part… RAM is RAM)

HDD: (Haven’t picked any out either… any suggestions… 500GB would be adequate for now)

Optical Drive: ASUS Black 18x DVD-Pom 48x CD-Rom Sata DVD-Rom Drive Model Dvh-E818A7T/BLK/Gen -oem $18.99

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $59.99

Motherboard: EVGA Z68 SLI 130-SB-E685-KR- LGA 115 Intel Z68 SATA 6GB/S USB 3.0
Intel Motherboard $149.99

*US dollars

Are there any compatibility issues? Any suggestions?

If you want to be futureproof I’d go with a Socket 2011 Mainboard, also to have PCIe 3.0
If you want some punch I’d take the 448 Core version of the GTX560 TI.
I’d also take a Ci7 instead of a Ci5. Although the Ci5 is very fast as it is, the Ci7 should be +60$ and especially for rendering give you a significant boost in speed.

RAM: You should go with 2 modules first as big as possible/affordable, many mainboards tend to run unstable if you fill all memory banks unless you raise the memory voltage, no big deal though to crank up the voltage by .05 or .1 or even .25 V to make a shaky system stable again.

HDD: I’d get an ADATA 511 or 510 SSD for your system, ideally the 120GB version and run a mirror raid with 2* 1.5TB HDDs as datatanks.

Also don’t forget you need a CPU cooler, the Intel stock cooler is not really ideal.

hth

Go to pcpartpicker.com to find the right parts, they wont let you pick any not compatable parts!
Thats where I got mine from.

Socket 2011 is a must imo. Also, the new motherboards can use >16Gb RAM, the 1155/1156/1366 maxes out at 16Gb’s… (accept some variants for dual Xeons, but the normal ones do anyway ;D)

About the GTX560Ti, be sure to use a 2Gb one as rendering w/ Cycles is dependent on enough RAM for the scenes you render on the GPU… I’d rather have 2Gb of VRAM than the 448 Core version with 1280Mb’s…

I would not pay $99 for Windows 7 for now. Use the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and buy the final when it’s released (which supposedly is gonna be in october) - and why I say this is as Windows 8 is as stabile as Windows 7, compatible with 99% of the Windows 7 apps (accept hard core system apps like defragmenters and such) and is also noticeably faster that Windows 7. I use in in production on my workstation at home and I would run it on the at-work-box as well but haven’t gotten around to it as that box dualboots Windows 7 / RHEL - installing one OS is enough ‘fun’ I think, hehe… ;D

…but I must say I’m very impressed with Windows 8, so feels crazy to buy Windows 7… :slight_smile:

Consider a modular psu - can be less irritating not to have to tidy away all the cables; not heard of that make either. Antec also make great PSU as I notice your case is antec.

Ram is most certainly not ram - Kingston or Corsair are considered the best.

Agree consider socket 2011.

Agree more ram on gpu is better than a little more speed if money is tight; personally if you could wait for gpu, I would. ATI might be a better bet, although it could be a while before we even get chance to start testing.

The card you are chosing, imo, is a waste of money - 1gb of ram would just frustrate you. I’m not seeing how many cores it has either from the link. Seems it has 336 (384, 448) cores which is the lowest of the three types available.

Found this MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC Geforce GTX 560 Ti on a supplier in UK; they at least give good info - as a rule. :slight_smile: Which seems to be the same product as your link.

Thanks for the replies. If I had my way about it, there would be a multi core i7 and a couple of gtx 590s (I don’t know much about the new 600 series although I guess I should drop by the thread again. It didn’t seem like much of an improvement to some.) via sli, yet, sadly, you don’t seen any of those. I have stretched my budget to, what I call, the limits. Possibly in a few years I’ll build a better computer. The one I have now is from 2004, so anything is, and will be, considerably better!

The gpu has 384cores. Mabye in the future I’ll buy a better gpu…

I might also change the motherboard out…

Again, thanks for the replies. I might just put xp on it for now… but I’ll see how it goes.

This will be in your price range.

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6aeW
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6aeW/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS11X Extreme CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.27 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 360 ATX Mini Tower Case ($38.86 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: HP 447326-B21 DVD/CD Drive ($50.98 @ PC Mall)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $969.04
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-03-27 20:50 EDT-0400)