Desolation: Drought in Australia

You’ve made the grass better now, Ilike it!

Thanks Blender-er. Particles are really flexible, but it took me a while to get the settings right.

I’ve added a live native tree to the scene, a “Ghost Gum”. Had one of these in my backyard as a kid. These ones apparently earned the nickname “Widowmaker” because of their tendancy to drop a limb or two while being cut down. You also don’t want to pitch your tent under a gum tree unless you want to wake up buried under wood.

As usual, not the final position.

Attachments

I think once the building has lost all its roof timbers the walls would be a little more degraded than you have shown. Try knocking a few more stones off window sills, top of walls, etc. At the moment it looks a little inconsistent (I lived in Central Vic for many years with lots of abandoned buildings of this sort)

Also, consider a banksia, sheoke, or other dry country species instead of the eucalypt.

Looking great. Much better. I do, however, agree with averil on the choice of tree, but would also add that no matter what species of tree you choose, the shape of a lone tree is different to that in a stand of tress. A single tree would tend to be shorter and more spread out.
Also, in terms of composition, (and I understand that this isn’t your final framing) I would definitely try to make the most of the silhouette of the windmill, i.e. not position the tree to close to it, or at least make the tree shorter.

Great progress, keep it up!

Thanks freen. I don’t even know if I’ll use the tree yet, I just picked a ghost gum because it has a very distinct appearance and I needed to learn how to use ngPlant. At this stage I’m really just modelling stuff and dumping it into the scene to see how realistic it looks in front of the camera.

I’ve added short grass and darkened up the long tufts to provide some contrast. Right now I’m just working on minimising the number of quads since this scene is up 2 million thanks to the grass, and I’ve still got several layers to add.

I hope to have some background hills in shortly.

Attachments

Maybe turn down the Nor value in the house’s Material “Map To…” tab.
(Or Disp, if using that Displacement instead of Normal.)

The texture looks too sharp.

Should the grass be casting some shadow?

Anything that’s not transparent would cast shadow.
Even glass casts a blurry one on the brightest days.

I suppose it would be a choice between realism and efficiency.

Averil, shadows are enabled, and they are being cast, but I’m guessing that they aren’t really visible because most of the grass is short and fine, and the sun is nearly overhead. I’m pretty sure that the kind of grass I’ve got wouldn’t be casting a shadow with such a bright light source where it is. I might have to take a walk down to the local park to check on the next sunny day… thanks for the comment.

Neonstarlight, I’ve noticed the texture on the house seems to get darker the further away it is from the camera. Once the shot is nearly complete and I’m happy with the house position I’ll scale the stones and alter the nor value to fix it. I’ve turned it down a bit in the meantime.

A new shot with grass on the field behind the house.

Edit: The grass is looking pretty good now, and so is the windmill, but it’s making the house look fake, so that’ll need some more work in general.

Attachments

Some tweaks:

• A few more rocks
  • Minor terrain adjustments including a little more contrast in the dirt
  • Started playing around with alpha gradients on the grass to fade the colour towards the tips

Attachments