Desperate Need of A Game Creator/Editor

Hello,

Do anyone know a good Linux based game creator/editor? I want to make a standalone first and third person 3d game. I need something that multi-platform export Linux or Windows, free for non-commercial usage, minimum programmiing, some documentation or reference, gui/editor, and ability to use imported meshes from Blender.

I tried Gamemaker, Cube, and other random stuff but nothing.

Vivienne

Note
If I used Blender I will have to use python code to load a scene and possibly save active scene into a file.

Blender does not use PHP, PHP is a web coding language. Blender uses the Python scripting language. This thread is also in the wrong section of the forums (don’t worry, we all make mistakes), it should be in Game Engine Support and Discussion.

I went through this stage as well, where I thought there had to be an easy solution to my problem. There isn’t. There is no all-in-one software that will do everything you ever dreamed with the push of a button.

I got started in game making by using Platinum Arts Sandbox, a Sauerbrauten mod.
It can be found at www.sandboxgamemaker.com

BGE exports to windows and Linux I think,

as far as programming goes, we can help you learn, or you can team up with a coder,

check through this resource forum for anything you need, and if there is no example we can help you make one, or make one for you :smiley:

I checked around and I can’t find anything resourceful. If I can team up with someone, it would be a help. Since, I use Blender it is the easiest method for me to make content.

I tried that in the pass and though the interface was not documented fully. Which I had trouble with. At the minimum, if it was clear how to import a mesh into it. Then that would be my first option.

LibLoad, or have the object hidden on another layer,

edited
Sorry wrong post…

edited
Sorry wrong post…

This may or may not apply to this discussion, but I enabled the addon “Export as Game Engine Runtime” it exports your blend file as a standalone game. I know it works on PCs without blender installed but I couldn’t tell with cross-platform abilities. (But I would guess it should work.)

I use Linux, I use Blender, I use Blender’s Game Engine.

No matter what game engine you pick, it is an engine, not a car. So you have to bolt a couple of wheels on and slap on a coat of paint before you can drive. In other words:

• Every game engine will require programming in some form, weather coding, or some graphical system
  • Every game engine will require you to build meshes and textures

And the way to get started is to open up blender, switch to the game engine renderer (at the top center of the screen), and then hit ‘P’ on the keyboard,
Also, try this for a real basic tutorial:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/An_aMAZEing_game_engine_tutorial

I want to make a standalone first and third person 3d game. I need something that multi-platform export Linux or Windows, free for non-commercial usage, minimum programmiing, some documentation or reference, gui/editor, and ability to use imported meshes from Blender.

Sounds like the BGE.

Yes. You could also buy the Unreal Engine 4 for 20 dollar, one time subscription ( cancel it after the first payment) and you are good to go. They now support Linux and so on, and it is " free " for non commercial - perhaps they change their license to a complete free for non commercial thing, but not for now.

The BGE is good and has much to offer (more than most people know) .
I can only imagine how great it can look to use cycles bake to bake textures for the Gameengine :evilgrin:

Most Engines uses node based programming, which can work good for many things. The BGE has it, the Unreal Engine Kismet and the Cryengine the flowgraph. But sure its much deeper to programm it the real way.

You could build up your Blender so that it is a Editor with all you need. It is also possible to save a “Standart” starting map. So everytime you use blender, you have the correct settings.

Seriously though, any question you have has an answer :smiley:

and we will post it.