Destructive Extrude [BETA]

(jendrzych) #201

Does this mean that v. 2.8 has no alternative to Carve boolean library and scripts like Destructive Extrude can not be rewritten to work in the new version of Blender?

(Darcvizer) #202

Anyway, no matter how CARVE will be in 2.8, I will rewrite addon I’m not satisfied with its state at the moment

(jendrzych) #203

That’s a fantastic news!
There are not many things, that keeps people from making Blender the main concept-modeling tool in their architectural design pipeline. The most important of them is surprisingly inefficient modeling toolset, which requires a lot of little things from a user to do seemingly simple things. Your script is unbelievably helpful. I believe I’m not alone who thinks the same.
Would be uber-fantastic to extend the script with - lets call it “destructive duplicate” - copying/duplicating edges/faces in Edit mode with automagical merging them with the rest of geometry. Imagine a wall with a drawn rectangle (window sketch) - you copy this rectangle, move it over the surface of our wall and set it in the place where another window should be. Bam! The rectangle integrates with the geometry of the wall and you can desctructive-extrude the window openings without unnecessary cleaning the mesh.
A dreamed lifesaver.
Another case - when you want to draw an edge on a flat surface, offset by a given, precise distance. Making such thing in Blender is a pain in the bottom part of a human being. Selecting edges, subdividing them, then moving… Nightmare. And you could just grab an existing edge, copy it and move it on the surface to the desired place, drop it, and it could “blend” into the geometry, creating new vertices…

I can’t help much, but can make icons for Your script, if You’d like.

(Bracer) #204

Hello @Darcvizer, your add-on has helped me so much in my modeling that I have dedicated an entire video to bring more awareness to your amazing work.

This is my way of saying thank you.
I have some suggestions but I hope to private message you about it if you are fine with it.

(Darcvizer) #205

(sceyefeye) #206

Does this mean support for 2.8 is coming soon?

(jachtarfranko) #207

We are looking forward to … :slight_smile:

(Kouza Nagi) #208

That’s great news :slight_smile:

(Darcvizer) #209

Thanks guys! It is very nice when your work is appreciated!
Most likely I will remove the possibility of union. Since the BMESH method has serious drawbacks, it will be difficult for me to implement it.

It is necessary to wait while developers correct this bug.
https://developer.blender.org/T58889

(NewVisitor) #210

That’s great news.
I’m really looking forward to the new version.

(obsurveyor) #211

Did you link to the right bug? That says it’s closed as invalid.

You should think about renaming this “intrude” :smile:

(Darcvizer) #213

Yes, closed, but then let them themselves with this error

if you know the solution, I will be glad to help

region = bpy.context.region
rv3d = bpy.context.region_data
coord = event.mouse_region_x, event.mouse_region_y
view_vector_mouse = view3d_utils.region_2d_to_vector_3d(region, rv3d, coord)
ray_origin_mouse = view3d_utils.region_2d_to_origin_3d(region, rv3d, coord)

pointLoc = intersect_line_plane(ray_origin_mouse, ray_origin_mouse @ view_vector_mouse,
context.object.location, rv3d.view_rotation @ Vector((0.0,0.0,-1.0)), False)