Detail texture mapping (multitexture materials)

Hey guys, this one is driving me nuts. I just picked up a new graphics card that has had an amazing impact on the performance and graphics when I use blender (I was using a sad onboard excuse for a graphics card that shipped wit hthe computer up till now. The new card has opened up a lot of new capabilities that I would like the explore - the main one I’m concentrating on right now is multitexture materials. In particular I’m trying to figure out how to have a regular texture on an object in addition to a much smaller detail texture so that the texture doesn’t appear blurry and lacking in detail when the camera comes close to it.

I know that my hardware is capable of producing these effects in blender because I’ve downloaded projects others have worked on that had these effects and they worked just fine. However no amount of studying the logic bricks, texture settings, and what have you in these projects has made it even close to apparent how to achieve these effects.

From what I understand, I have to create a material then add TWO textures to it through the material buttons (not UV editor, although I usually set the main material texture to use UV coordinates to make sure I Have some control over how it is applied to the object). I also added a new UV texture in the edit buttons though I’m not entirely sure this is necessary? I was trying to follow tutorials for things i thought sounded similar to what I am trying to do here and that was one of the steps in those tutorials.

Anyway, what I’m saying is i have a material with two active textures applied to it. But only one of those textures ever shows up at all. I imagine there is some simple step I’m missing, but because there just isn’t any halfway decent tutorial on this subject on the internet (that I can find, and I’ve looked pretty hard) I simply cannot figure out how to get this to work. I know a lot of the tutorials I found that seemed somewhat “similar” involved the use of alpha layers - do I need to have a texture with some kind of alpha data for this particular effect to work? If so, why and how do I do it? IF not. . . what am I missing?

Thanks for the help.

hum… Do you mean like this?

Attachments

Test.blend (165 KB)

I believe what you want to do is turn down the col slider on the second texture (this is equivalent to the entire texture’s alpha channel being turned down- if the texture has an alpha channel built in it should allow you to control this on a per-pixel basis. If that doesn’t work there’s always stencils, do a search for tutorials), to allow the first one to show through. Alternately, you can choose a blend mode that inherently shows things underneath it (such as add or multiply) basically, play around with the settings until you see something you like.

Also, if you set the second texture to No RGB, it basically turns the color channels into an alpha channel, and the entire texture to the color you set.

There’s an example attached, note that on the one without “No RGB” checked, the texture’s color shows through (Ideally you’d choose a color that better suited your larger texture, but I just plopped on the first two textures that caught my eye)

Attachments

detailTex.blend (167 KB)

http://vimeo.com/5667694 - best tut EVER on detail mapping. You’ll love it :slight_smile:
Enjoy,
Micah

Excalaberr:
No, all I see in that .blend are some pitch-black boxes.

Captain Oblivion:
I tried the col slider and changing the blend methods (multiply, add, etc) - none of this did anything except the col slider, which just turned the one texture that would show on the object whiter as though the color saturation was being raised or something. It did not allow the other texture to show through. I tried messing with the slider for both textures. IT only had an effect when i changed it for the texture that was actually showing up on the object.

micah702:
Ah yes, I found this video when i was trying to find an answer to my question. I was discouraged from using it because it is extremely long and seems to focus more on features that have nothing to do with what i’m trying to accomplish than on actually doing what I want to do. I guess i’ll give it another look.

Got it. The key seems to be to pick overlay (rather than add, multiply, or mess with the color slider). I had to dig through that stone video to find this. In that entire 45 minute long video the information I needed was contained within a 2 or 3 minute segment in the middle somewhere.

This brings me to a new question: Can you use this same basic idea to have a texture that uses realtime mirror UV mapping overlay a regular texture?

Like, say you wanted to have a marble surface that also reflects an environment map, giving the illusion that the marble surface is reflecting the environment that surrounds it. I have no problem applying a mirror effect as long as only the UV editor is used (and materials are not). Unfortunately this will not apply any “base” texture (ie marble texture) to the object - it will be 100% reflective and look like a straight up mirror rather than a smooth semi-reflective stone.

As soon as i add a material and add the mirror texture (that is the environment map) in the materials it will just appear flat on the surface and mixed with the marble texture the same way as with detail maps. It seems that mapping input on materials from UV coordinates will not take into account the UV mirroring if it is enabled. IS there any way around this? Or am I making some silly mistake or something?