Developer Meeting Notes

It also needs a dark and semi-transparent background behind the stats text, otherwise it becomes very hard to read on light backgrounds… :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Would be great if they were individually turnonable.

3 Likes

Notes for meeting of Monday, 4 May 2020. 11:00 CEST / UTC 9:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.

Announcements

• Google Summer of Code official announcement of projects today at 20h30 CEST on bf-committers mailing-list.
  • Christian Rauch’s has been added as a committer to develop GHOST/Wayland support (now in master ). Welcome!

Google Summer of Code

• The list of accepted students will be in the https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/GSoC/2020 . «list below»
  • In coming weeks this will be filled with links to students’ proposals.
  • New (public) blender.chat channel for mentors and students to be created #gsoc-2020.
  • Students will need help setting up git/wiki accounts.
  • Communication can happen in the specific module channels if too noisy for #blender-coders.
  • Devtalk is also important for students to post their reports and father feedback.

• There are way too many unclassified reports - 117, 5 of which are high priority - module owners and members at the very least check if there are high priority issues among them.
  • There are 22 to 26 high priority issues at the moment.
  • Brecht Van Lommel will work on Cycles/render related issues and review fixes from Richard Antalík.
  • There are plenty of graphics card issues that Clément Foucault and Jeroen Bakker can help.
  • There are also a few sculpting issues for Pablo Dobarro .
  • Besides the other issues.
  • bcon4 is next week!

LTS

• There is almost no time to implement Blender side changes for 2.83.
  • A proposal is still under discussion internally among Ton Roosendaal , Francesco Siddi and Dalai Felinto , to be presented as soon as possible for feedback and final deliberations.

New Features and Changes

Blender 2.90

• Performance: faster animation playback of complex rigs on computers with many CPU cores. Dependency graph scheduling and many other areas in Blender are now using Intel TBB. In benchmarks with animation production files from Agent 237 and Spring short movies, FPS was increased by 35-40%. ( Brecht Van Lommel, Jeroen Bakker )
  • Multiresolution Sculpting:
    • Restore support for switching between levels in sculpt mode. ( Sergey Sharybin )
    • Subdivide Simple and Subdivide Linear operators, to use simple subdivision for some levels with Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces. ( Pablo Dobarro )
    • Unsubdivide and Rebuild Subdivisions operators: to reconstruct the base mesh and displacement from a mesh with subdivision and displacement applied. This can be used to import meshes from other software, or meshes where the subdivision surface or multires modifier was applied. ( Pablo Dobarro )
  • Motion Tracking: new distortion model compatible with Nuke and Natron. ( Sergey Sharybin )
  • Armatures: select linked operator that uses selection rather than cursor position, with Ctrl+L shortcut. ( Philipp Oeser )
  • Video Sequencer: speed effect option for frame interpolation using cross blending. ( Israel Medina )
  • User Interface:
    • Improve readability of statistics in 3D viewport. ( Harley Acheson )
    • Search now includes raw operators in addition to menu items, if Developer Extras is enabled. ( Campbell Barton )
    • Outliner delete operator now works on both collections and objects with the same shortcut. ( Nathan Craddock )
    • Grease Pencil quick access to set active material in the context (right-click) menu and with the U shortcut. ( Antonio Vazquez )
  • Linux: initial Wayland support, when building the WITH_GHOST_WAYLAND option. Some features are still missing in this implementation and X11 remains used by default for now. ( Christian Rauch, Campbell Barton )
  • Windows: Blender daily builds now include minimal debug symbols and print backtraces on crashes, to help bug triaging and fixing. ( Ray Molenkamp )

Weekly Reports

8 Likes

https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2020-May/050571.html

Hi,
Here are the 10 projects accepted for this edition of the Google
Summer of Code program:

• “Continued Improvements to the Outliner” by Nathan Craddock.
  • “Customizable Menus” by Legrand Alexia.
  • “Editing Grease Pencil Strokes Using Curves” by Falk David.
  • “Implementing OpenXR Actions for VR Control” by Peter Klimenko.
  • “Improving IO performance for big files” by Ankit Kumar.
  • “Info Editor Improvements” by Mateusz Grzeliński.
  • “Liquid Display Options for Liquid Simulation Grids” by Sriharsha
    Kotcharlakot.
  • “Production Ready Many Light Sampling” by Sam Kottler.
  • “Regression Testing Frameworks” by Himanshi Kalra.
  • “Volumetric Soft Body Simulation” by Matthew Overby.

The students are welcome to join blender.chat and start talking to
your mentors. I will send an email later this week with more details
regarding git access, blender.chat channels, the wiki, and weekly
reports. I will also update the Blender’s GSoC page with the final
proposal for each project.

Welcome everyone!
-Dalai-

17 Likes

New functions are always welcome, but this year at least from the titles I don’t find them too exciting … maybe it’s me who has too many expectations, but I would have liked to see something like a project of "a super Swiss army knife for measurement and snapping rearranged and made easy, powerfull and practical to use " …for example, just to get the idea :grin:

1 Like

That sounds promising. I’m currently a Pie Menu Editor fan.

1 Like

I wonder if this could bring benefits in the performance on heavy objects editing or is it only for data loading :thinking:

does anyone know the practical advantages of having direct wayland support?

:orange_heart: :boom:

I was waiting for this.
Also knowing that brecht will be on cycles for a while is promising. I hope he’ll have time to tackle the ‘Unified sampling’ thing

4 Likes

Quite off topic, please forgive me, I don’t want to open a new thread for this question:
How’s Ton health? Did he get better?

1 Like

From what I’ve read so far, on Twitter and other publications, Ton is back in business.

14 Likes

The proposal talks Import/export of formats that Blender imports/exports slowly. Specifically student talks PLY and STL, maybe others will come, depending on the student coding time and skills.

At this time, not much, but since distros are starting to move from legacy X11/xorg to wayland, probably it will be better to be prepared when distros declare X11/xorg as deprecated. After all, Blender is first class citizen on Linux.

3 Likes

Notes for meeting of Monday, 11 May 2020. 18:00 CEST / UTC 16:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.

Announcements

• All the queries of all the modules are updated to include the sub tags as well.
  • Bug fixing sprint this and next week.
  • GSoC officially started last Monday, Blender has 10 projects accepted, the coding itself starts on June 1st.

Last week: 117 unclassified reports ; 22-26 high priority bugs
This week: 151 unclassified reports; 18 high priority bugs

• Most of the bugs tagged as 2.83 are now assigned to developers.
  • 2.83 release postponed 2 weeks:
    • bcon4: May 27
    • release:June 3

• A reminder for the lead developers of the “10 big 2020 projects” to update the projects status to help with 2.90 planning.
  • Particle nodes: Jacques is submitting patches (currently open for review: D7549, D7617, D7628). Plan is to get the first moving particles in master branch working in the next week I work on particle nodes.
  • Collision Solver: Sebastian Parborg (and Jacques) know what is missing but will bring Brecht into the loop to be sure there are clear deliverables and the planning is sound.
  • Pablo Dobarro asked about the status of the patch review of the Sculpt/Paint module, which sparked a discussion after the meeting with the involved parties.

New Features and Changes

Blender 2.90

«««images below»»»

• User Interface: search now supports adding operators to quick favorites and assigning shortcuts. ( Campbell Barton )
  • Annotations
    • Line tool support for different arrow styles at endpoints. ( Juanfran Matheu )
    • Curves are now smoothed similar to grease pencil, with the Use Stabilizer settings. ( Antonio Vazquez )
  • Grease Pencil: curve drawing options for randomizing Thickness, Strength, UV, Hue, Saturation and Value. ( Antonio Vazquez )

Weekly Reports

Images to New Features

1. obraz
14 Likes

This is good news! I’ve been waiting for this for quite a while. :+1:

10 Likes

What should also be mentioned is Dalai’s recent announcement that the Blender app. has too many bugs right now, so the plan is to make all of the developers do nothing but fix bugs for two weeks.

This type of mentality is far better than what many commercial vendors do, which is listing tons of non-critical bugs as acceptable so the release can be pushed out the door (to satisfy investors).

14 Likes

It really depends, if i need a new feature in a new release right now because it could make my work faster and i don’t use any of these features that are bugged out, i profit from the early release. But i agree listen to investors over users is always a bad choice (for the users).

Fantastic! Been waiting for this kind of upgrade since I started using Blender. This and the upgraded search functionality that shows the origin of the operators make Blender a lot more approachable. :partying_face:

3 Likes

damn yeah me too lol…

2 Likes

This is great ,don’t forget blender 2.83 will be the most stable version ever ,which will be supported for the next one year!

1 Like

Man, if only Epic would do this (along with improving workflow and UI) with Unreal Engine… Maybe they need 6 months, but it would make life using the engine much better. Don’t get me wrong though, Epic are great and I love the way they are putting their Fortnite cash to use (making stuff like Quixel free to everyone, and supporting open source ecosystem etc.) UE4 is also great, but it’s quite buggy and an awful lot of UI is just a mess or insanely basic. The documentation of UE4 is also a bit lacking. Funny that some of Epic’s money is going to improving exactly these kinds of things with Blender, but I’m happy :smiley:

4 Likes

Me too. Super happy this has finally happened. The improvements to search (search menus and operators) are also very welcome!

2 Likes