Developer Meeting Notes

I think you can right click to cancel? But I fully understand if you still find it annoying.

This is really important feature for me. But I also find current implementation to be a bit unpolished. I’d much rather prefer to press a modifier key when I drag a noodle to call this menu. Missing sockets was immediately an obvious flaw of the current implementation.

I’d love to give this feedback to developers but I have no idea where to leave it. :thinking:

4 Likes

Yep. Im just continuously having to right click to cancel it now. Over the course of 5 hours thats an extra 30-40-50… 100 right clicks that I’d rather not have to make.
Don’t get me wrong the search popup is a cool idea but Im not finding it beneficial at all.
I would rather just turn it off. If I could.

4 Likes

Id imagine alot of people are finding it beneficial and like it.
Some people not though. Pressing a modifier to call it would be alot better definitely

i think devs need to add some kind of snapping when a link is being drag close to several sockets, that would kinda help to be less loose when dragging links…

@Corza_Corza hey also you can use the alt+shift+click for assigning a node link and selecting an specific input in the popup menu from the another node that is being dragged to…

6 Likes

Here: https://blender.chat/channel/geometry-nodes
or here: https://blender.chat/channel/user-interface

4 Likes

3 January 2022

Notes for weekly communication of ongoing projects and modules.

Announcements

• Blender 3.1 release schedule: Move to Bcon2 postponed to Wednesday, 5th January.

New Features and Changes

UV Editing

• Support virtual UDIM filenames (commit ) (Jesse Yurkovich)

Geometry Nodes

• Accumulate Field Node (commit ) (Johnny Matthews)
  • Optimize point cloud bounding box calculation (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Support instances in the delete geometry node (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Slightly decrease overhead for constant fields (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)

Node Editor

• Link-drag search improvements:
    • Add Compare node operations to the search menu (commit ) (Charlie Jolly)
    • Add Math and Vector Math node operations to the search menu (commit ) (Charlie Jolly)
      • Weight drag link search for Math nodes by float or vector types (commit) (Charlie Jolly)
    • Support linking to existing group inputs (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)

Modeling

• Add support for a much faster GPU subdivision evaluator (commit ) (Kévin Dietrich)

Python API

• Accept format argument for color texture in gpu.types.GPUOffScreen (commit ) (Iyad Ahmed)

Weekly Reports

Summary
8 Likes

222w
there is link drag search menu :open_mouth:

Also Opensubdiv on GPU:

33 Likes

10 January 2022

Welcomes

• Jon Denning (@gfxcoder) starts to work on Retopo Tools in January. More details and information where to follow the progress will be shared later.

Announcements

Modules & Projects

New Features and Changes

Animation

• Support changing bone overlay wireframe opacity (commit ) (Alexander Gavrilov)

Cycles

• Add OptiX temporal denoising support (commit ) (Patrick Mours)
  • Support rendering point cloud motion blur from an attribute (commit ) (Kévin Dietrich)

Geometry Nodes

• New Edge Angle node for mesh curvature (commit ) (Johnny Matthews)

Miscellaneous

• Add a new C++ exporter for the Wavefront .obj format (commit ) (Ankit Meel, Howard Trickey)
  • Enable OpenEXR DWAB compresstion (commit ) (Sergey Sharybin)
  • Allow overrides for cloth, collision and force field properties (commit ) (Alexander Gavrilov)

Weekly Reports

Weekly Reports List
16 Likes

Wasn’t bcon2 extended?

17 January 2022

Welcomes

Announcements

• Henrik Dick (author of complex solidify modifier), has been granted commit access to continue development in this area. Welcome!

Modules & Projects

New Features and Changes

Compositor

• Add “Scene Time” Node like the geometry node of the same name (commit ) (Nathan Rozendaal)
    obraz

• “Time” node is renamed to “Time Curve”
  • Add a node to convert between color spaces (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)

Modeling

• Performance improvement: Move normals out of MVert, lazy calculation (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
    • This affects geometry nodes and object mode performance rather than edit mode.
  • Add support for a “longest diagonal” quad triangulation mode (commit ) (Henrik Dick)
usage example

in the image instead of “old” I should have written “Shortest Diagonal” and instead of “new”, “Longest Diagonal”.

• Spreadsheet: Add mesh topology information with debug value 4001 (commit ) (Hans Goudey)

User Interface

• Allow AltGr Key + C,V, X Text Input (commit ) (Harley Acheson)
  • Add way to display warning icon for outliner items (commit ) (Bastien Montagne)
  • Add default values to clip editor properties (commit ) (Simon Lenz)

Geometry Nodes

• Improve “Set Spline Type” node conversion from NURBS to Bezier (commit ) (Piotr Makal)
  • Rename transfer attribute geometry input (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Rename String to Curves socket (commit ) (Erik Abrahamsson)

Viewport/Eevee

• Added GPUShaderCreateInfo to support cross compilation of GLSL shaders (commit ) (Clément Foucault, Jeroen Bakker)

Python API

• Add “children_recursive” property to Object & Collection (commit ) (Campbell Barton)

Build System

• Add CMake option WITH_LINK_MOLD for GCC/Clang on Linux for faster build-times (commit ) (Campbell Barton)

Alembic Import

• Add support for reading override layers (commit ) (Kévin Dietrich)

Weekly Reports

Summary
14 Likes

@BlenderBob this might be useful for you…

4 Likes

there is missing announcement Strategic Targets 2022

3 Likes

cool! texturing! :slight_smile:

It will be once there’s a proper implementation of OCIO in Blender. I’m actually in a big discussion about it on the dev discussion board. Thanks!

13 Likes

Wow, finally!
Hoping there will be simple min/max levels node next year

If the viewport compositor (being worked on) is what I think it is, then it should pave the way to finally moving all of the color-grading/color-transform stuff out of the render tab and into compositing nodes without affecting the render workflow (ie. seeing the final grade while rendering).

Being able to have full access to the color balance node for instance (without having a finished image to use) would be great to have.

11 Likes

Okay stop posting this in the wrong thread. You have this because you installed aces for blender. Yes there is a way to reduce the list.

Shown here:

5 Likes

24 January 2022

Welcomes

• Arnd ‘Justa’ Marijnissen (of JustaCluster fame) has joined the blender-studio last week. Responsible for Infra and DevOps, he’s going to be intimately involved with developer.blender.org and the developer community. Expect more on this in the coming weeks!

Announcements

Modules & Projects

New Features and Changes

Asset Browser

Geometry Nodes

• New Extrude Mesh Node (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Add a selection input to the triangulate node (commit ) (Johnny Matthews)
  • Add a “Relative” mode to the Curve Handle Position node (commit ) (Johnny Matthews)
  • New Field at Index node (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)
  • New Scale Elements node to scale regions of mesh faces and edges (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)
  • New “Arc” curve primitive node (commit ) (Charlie Jolly)
  • New Flip Faces Node to flip face normals (commit ) (Alan Babu)
  • Output the island count from the “Mesh Island” node (commit ) (Johnny Matthews)
  • Rename the output socket of the mesh island node (commit ) (Johnny Matthews)
  • Add Signed Output to Edge Angle Node (commit ) (Johnny Matthews)
  • Select left and right by default in the set handle type node (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Performance improvements
    • Improve performance of domain interpolation code (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)

Subdivision

• Add support for vertex creasing (commit ) (Kévin Dietrich)

Alembic Import

• Add support for reading Alembic override layers (commit ) (Kévin Dietrich)

Baking

• Add a new method to generate margins, based on adjacent faces (commit ) (Martijn Versteegh)

Curves

• Improve accuracy and clarity of NURBS knots calculation (commit ) (Laurynas Duburas)

User Interface

• Add secondary color to the tool header in paint modes (commit ) (Sebastian Parborg)
  • Exclude “Undo History” from menu search (commit ) (Campbell Barton)
  • Add “Batch Rename” support for collections and other data types (Red Mser, Campbell Barton) (commit , commit , commit , commit )
  • Display exact integer values without fraction for “frame” buttons (commit ) (Alexander Gavrilov)
    • Speed up icon scaling (commit ) (Julian Eisel)

Line Art Modifier

• Add an option to keep contours when using face mark filtering (commit ) (Yiming Wu)
  • Noise tolerant chaining to produce smoother results (commit ) (Yiming Wu)
  • Add an option to use the inverse of a collection (commit ) (Yiming Wu)
    • Add Backface culling option (commit ) (Yiming Wu)

Video Sequence Editor

• Support copy-pasting strips with animation (commit ) (Richard Antalik)

Attributes

• Add an operator to convert generic attributes to other types (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)

Python API

• Expose contiguous mesh vertex and face normal arrays (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Docs: Add non-invert Bone.convert_local_to_pose example (commit ) (Alexander Gavrilov)

Build System

• Support external cmake callback script in configuration (commit )(Ankit Meel)

Weekly Reports

Summary
9 Likes

31 January 2022

Welcomes

Announcements

Modules & Projects

New Features and Changes

User Interface

• Prevent click-through panels and used header area (commit ) (Julian Eisel)
  • Add OneDrive to System List for Windows (commit ) (Harley Acheson)
    • Remap multiple data-blocks at the same time in UI code (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
    • Optimize gizmo intersection tests, fix selection bias (commit ) (Campbell Barton)
    • Avoid creating unnecessary undo steps in the outliner (commit ) (Germano Cavalcante)
  • Windows IME: Ideographic Full Stop to Decimal Point (commit ) (Harley Acheson)

Image/UV Editor

• Add better support for drawing huge images (commit , commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)

OBJ Export

• Speed up the new OBJ exporter via bigger write buffer and parallelization (commit ) (Aras Pranckevicius)

USD Export

• Support exporting USD preview surface material(commit ) (Michael Kowalski)

Python API

• Add internal support for Python 3.10
  • Expose point-cloud data-blocks in the API (commit ) (Brecht Van Lommel)
  • Expose “crazyspace” deform modifier correction functionality via RNA (commit ) (Sergey Sharybin)

Geometry Nodes

• Add Extrude Mesh Node (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Add line index and pivot point outputs to the string to curves node (commit ) (Erik)
  • Add a “Merge by Distance” node for point clouds and meshes (commit , commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Expand available operations in the Boolean Math node (commit ) (Hallam Roberts)
  • Improve link-drag search support for boolean math node (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Add or improve various socket descriptions (commit , commit ) (Hans Goudey)

Cycles

• Significantly reduce artifacts on small, large, or far away objects by removing ray offsetting (commit , commit , commit ) (William Leeson)
  • Add Point Info node for point cloud data (commit ) (Brecht Van Lommel)
    • Make Embree compact BVH optional, making CPU rendering faster at the cost of higher memory usage (commit ) (Thomas Dinges)
  • Reorganize Acceleration Structure UI panel (commit ) (Thomas Dinges)

Asset Browser

• Allow creating preview image by rendering the active object (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)
  • Enable node group assets (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)

Painting

• Hook up invert and smooth modes to weight and vertex paint (commit ) (Sebastian Parborg)

Video Sequence Editor

• Build proxies only for slow movies (commit ) (Richard Antalik)

Graph Editor

• Equalize Handle Operator (commit) (Kevin C. Burke)

Modeling

• GPU subdivision: reduce memory usage for point IBO (commit ) (Kévin Dietrich)

Weekly Reports

Summary
9 Likes